And we're back!

Main Menu

Thaw in US - Cuba relations

Started by Jacob, December 17, 2014, 12:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 18, 2014, 03:34:23 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 17, 2014, 08:21:08 PM
Tonight my dad was telling me about how his dad visited Cuba quite a bit back in the 1930's.

Was he mobbed up?

When did Batista take power?  From what I've read, that's when US business interests (beyond agriculture) got really excited.

Yeah, pretty much.  That side of the family is weird.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 17, 2014, 05:10:33 PMIt is, the righteous, lefty stance that the Cuban 5 are not spies.

It appears the preferred term is "Anti-Terrorist Heroes".

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on December 18, 2014, 12:07:08 PM

So spies, but the good type.

Valmy

Should have happened 20 years ago, but good going Mr. Obama.  This will be a fatal blow to Cuba's regime.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 18, 2014, 01:25:25 PM

Yeah, I guess it doesn't count as spying if they're heroes.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on December 18, 2014, 02:04:56 PM
Should have happened 20 years ago, but good going Mr. Obama.  This will be a fatal blow to Cuba's regime.

Cute.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on December 18, 2014, 02:17:05 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 18, 2014, 02:04:56 PM

Cute.

You having such irrational faith in a failed policy that has done such harm to Major League Baseball prospects is far cuter.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

It's amusing that the GOP is bring up "human rights abuses" when earlier this week they were defending "enhanced interrogation".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Meh, they were spies, but not the traditional type.

With rare exception, the Cuban intelligence service doesn't really spy on the United States in the traditional sense;  what's much more important is keeping tabs on the dissident and exile community.  These mutts were more like counterintelligence operatives on US soil.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 18, 2014, 04:33:25 PM

With rare exception, the Cuban intelligence service doesn't really spy on the United States in the traditional sense;  what's much more important is keeping tabs on the dissident and exile community.  These mutts were more like counterintelligence operatives on US soil.

Yeah, Vancouver is full of PRC operatives like that too I'm pretty sure.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 18, 2014, 04:33:25 PM

So says the Castro apologist.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on December 18, 2014, 04:50:30 PM
So says the Castro apologist.

What? You don't think Castro has anything to apologize for?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on December 18, 2014, 04:45:50 PM
Yeah, Vancouver is full of PRC operatives like that too I'm pretty sure.

You bet your General Tsao's Chicken it is.

Back in the '60s, when the BPD had developed its Red Squad, it would send cadets to the universities where SDS meetings were being held;  one roll in, and while the meeting was going on, pass around a sign-in sheet on a clipboard for everybody in attendance to leave their name, number and address for the "mailing list" and then take it back to headquarters afterwards, nice and easy, lemon squeezy.  So you see, sometimes counterintelligence isn't nearly as difficult or romantic as one would think.

You're an intuitive one, Xiacob, so I know you already realize all these Chinese "student associations" on college campuses aren't necessarily being organized and run by students.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 18, 2014, 05:01:03 PMYou're an intuitive one, Xiacob, so I know you already realize all these Chinese "student associations" on college campuses aren't necessarily being organized and run by students.

Don't think I had to rely on my intuition for that one, ComradeDeMoney :)