News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Islamic Terrorists Take Hostages in Sydney

Started by jimmy olsen, December 14, 2014, 11:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Having had to get taxis from the Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne CBDs during rush hour I can appreciate that predatory pricing might be required to get the drivers which aren't already stretched thin to end their vacation/abandon their kids/cancel a long planned vacation to drive down to the Sidney CBD.

Especially if bus or train services were somehow interrupted. As for the Uber haters, if you want to screw over Uber? Don't use their service. Most places where Taxis get licenced there is a form of monopolizing going on. That monopolizing is already price gouging the customers. Mini-cabs in london cost a fraction of what regular cabs cost and pirate taxis here in norway cost a fraction of when regular cabs cost. Perhaps that is the price you pay for not getting raped, perhaps not.

When taxi licences were handed out to people outside the "guild of taxi drivers" here in town about 10 years ago the prices fell slightly, but more importantly, it was now possible to get a cab at closing time on a friday or saturday night. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2014, 01:55:45 PM
Flee for their lives?  That's overegging the pudding.  Surely Uber drivers weren't whisking passengers away from a hail of gunfire.

That's how people seem to be perceiving it. It does seem to me that people do tend to overestimate the danger they are actually in when in the proximity of a disaster scenario, but it's a hard narrative to counter.

So yes, overegging in terms of facts viewed after the fact or from a high level; not overegging from the perception of the people in the situation on the ground, or other people putting themselves in their shoes.

Admiral Yi

Is that the perception as described by Uber passengers in Sydney at the time, or by full time Uber haters?

garbon

Quote from: Viking on December 16, 2014, 02:13:10 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 16, 2014, 09:43:48 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 16, 2014, 08:00:15 AM
I find it a sad testimony to Languish that this has been derailed into a thread about Uber. But then it is Jacob and garbon so to them uber is clearly more evil than fundamentalist Islam.

What is there to say about fundamentalist Islam that hasn't been said many times over since 2003?

Dunno, have you started listening yet?

To you? Definitely not.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on December 16, 2014, 01:33:56 PM
QuoteA logically consistent person doesn't expect to have their cake and eat it too.
A PR strategy that relies on people being logically consistent is a poor PR strategy.

Yeah PR has a lot to do with people's emotional responses real or expected.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2014, 02:30:04 PM
Is that the perception as described by Uber passengers in Sydney at the time, or by full time Uber haters?

Maybe it's fuelled by Uber haters, but the narrative seems to be gaining ground.

sbr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 16, 2014, 01:55:45 PM
Flee for their lives?  That's overegging the pudding.  Surely Uber drivers weren't whisking passengers away from a hail of gunfire.

Why would one have to be under a hail of gunfire to feel your life is in danger.  Suicide bombers still seem to be a popular thing.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on December 16, 2014, 02:48:50 PM

Maybe it's fuelled by Uber haters, but the narrative seems to be gaining ground.

Sounds like a PR problem.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 16, 2014, 04:45:00 PM

Or a diversity problem.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on December 16, 2014, 05:14:06 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 16, 2014, 04:45:00 PM

Or a diversity problem.

:bleeding:

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

I'm getting rather tired of the 'this is our 9/11' line that's routinely trotted out after these incidents. Where will it end?

Lichtenstein - Man run down on pedestrian crossing, police chief say "this was our 9/11"

9/11 was a unique attack, an unprecedented attack on highly symbolic targets, that caused massive loss of civilian life and disrupted a major world city for some time. It came out of the blue, literally, on a bright blue fall morning.

In Australia in contrast, there had been forewarnings of attacks by Islamist sympathisers or 'lone wolf' attacks. And that's exactly what happened a marginal figure carried out a small scale attack that had very limited 'success'. The Australian government risks handing a posthumous victory to this socio-path, by blowing up it significance out of all proportions.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. This is nowhere near 9/11, just like the nutcase shooting up Parliament in Canada was not anything like 9/11.

sbr

Every country needs their own 9/11.  How else do you get terrible laws passed and justify horrible acts?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive