Making better humans, or rather, making less-bad ones

Started by Ideologue, December 13, 2014, 10:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If the technological infrastructure was present for public eugenics, would you be okay with it?

Yes
8 (25%)
Yes, but only for truly insuperable diseases, like harlequinism and Tays-Sachs
10 (31.3%)
No, private eugenics has done a great job
8 (25%)
I'm okay with Jaron being sterilized
6 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on December 15, 2014, 11:24:24 PM
I'm not a geneticist, I don't think I Ide is, nor do I believe you are.  I'm not in a position to decide what exactly is discredited or not.

I'm glad that's out of the way, then.

QuoteI do know that some people have genetic pre-disposition towards certain things.  Many of these pose "significant health problems".  When you say things like, "The gov't should stay out of fucking around with the gene-pool" are you saying that you would government efforts opposed to curing genetic illnesses like Tay-Sachs?  Cause that's what it sounds like with such blanket statements.  So perhaps you would like to clarify.

Curing diseases = good.

Instituting eugenics programs to encourage breeding practices in the human population = not good.

QuoteI would also like the to know are you okay with the government providing money for abortions in general and just become outraged if the government has a motive for their action beyond simply providing money.

I'm in favour of universal health care. Abortion is a health care service. So I'm not only okay with I'm actively in favour of government funded abortions.

Where the government does not fund health care, abortion should not be outlawed or discouraged in any particular way, and should be available through whatever means the population gets healthcare (i.e if it's employer provided healthcare, employers should pay for abortions).

I hope that helped.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on December 15, 2014, 11:30:09 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 15, 2014, 11:24:24 PM
I'm not a geneticist, I don't think I Ide is, nor do I believe you are.  I'm not in a position to decide what exactly is discredited or not.

I'm glad that's out of the way, then.

QuoteI do know that some people have genetic pre-disposition towards certain things.  Many of these pose "significant health problems".  When you say things like, "The gov't should stay out of fucking around with the gene-pool" are you saying that you would government efforts opposed to curing genetic illnesses like Tay-Sachs?  Cause that's what it sounds like with such blanket statements.  So perhaps you would like to clarify.

Curing diseases = good.

Instituting eugenics programs to encourage breeding practices in the human population = not good.

QuoteI would also like the to know are you okay with the government providing money for abortions in general and just become outraged if the government has a motive for their action beyond simply providing money.

I'm in favour of universal health care. Abortion is a health care service. So I'm not only okay with I'm actively in favour of government funded abortions.

Where the government does not fund health care, abortion should not be outlawed or discouraged in any particular way, and should be available through whatever means the population gets healthcare (i.e if it's employer provided healthcare, employers should pay for abortions).

I hope that helped.

Spell out to me why the Eugenics program is bad?  I'm having a hard time making a distinction between that and preventing disease.  After all eliminating the gene that causes Tay Sachs is eugenics. Is it only bad if the government does it or is it bad if a private individuals do it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on December 15, 2014, 03:59:38 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 15, 2014, 03:38:36 PM

no more than being an Apple fan, a scat or feet fetishist, an animal lover, a geek, a nerd, or anything that does not conform to current societal standards.

With homosexuality, the distress or social problem one can feel are dependent upon the social reaction to this condition, not the condition in itself.

This is true of most paraphilic disorders, but they are still considered disorders.  It is where atypical sexual attraction causes distress or impairment.  If we regard social reaction as  only standard we end up with some oddities.  A person of who is sexually attracted to children can be "cured", by him immigrating to culture where such a behavior is acceptable.  One of the medical risks of homosexuality is significant increased chance of STDs.  It is difficult to figure out what changes in societal standards are possible to prevent this.

Paraphilias are acquired, not in-born, anyway.

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on December 15, 2014, 04:43:37 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 15, 2014, 04:40:03 PM
America.  I've always wondered why CC had such strong feelings about an issue that doesn't affect him, but whatever.  I'm used to foreigners getting bent about American politics.

I don't know if the Canadian model is even that similar.  Your SLs can be discharged in bankruptcy, for example.

So you're doing the thing where you talk only about the US, but you use universal arguments to do so. Because when you talk about the value of STEM and the uselessness of the humanities, as is your wont, you typically do so in terms relating to the inherent values of those fields rather than how they fit into the education systems and economy of the US at present.

Yeah. It seems to me that Ide is taking the flawed US system and trying to find flawed solutions to it.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on December 16, 2014, 12:41:38 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 15, 2014, 03:59:38 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 15, 2014, 03:38:36 PM

no more than being an Apple fan, a scat or feet fetishist, an animal lover, a geek, a nerd, or anything that does not conform to current societal standards.

With homosexuality, the distress or social problem one can feel are dependent upon the social reaction to this condition, not the condition in itself.

This is true of most paraphilic disorders, but they are still considered disorders.  It is where atypical sexual attraction causes distress or impairment.  If we regard social reaction as  only standard we end up with some oddities.  A person of who is sexually attracted to children can be "cured", by him immigrating to culture where such a behavior is acceptable.  One of the medical risks of homosexuality is significant increased chance of STDs.  It is difficult to figure out what changes in societal standards are possible to prevent this.

Paraphilias are acquired, not in-born, anyway.

:huh:  Where on earth did you get that idea?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Why so much opposition to the keystone pipeline?
Think of the economic benefits.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall