News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What's the Worst College Town in America?

Started by Admiral Yi, December 10, 2014, 08:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I've been to a fair number of college towns, and as a rule they're generally pleasant places.

Have you been to any that sucked?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

All of them.  I hate college kids.  Hell, I hated college kids when I was a college kid.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

PDH

I would say Fort Collins, Colorado (home of the vile Colorado State)...but they make darn good beer there.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Darth Wagtaros

Berkley. Because they manage to be especially self-righteous and obnoxious.
PDH!

MadImmortalMan

Berkeley itself isn't horrible but if you walk a mile in any direction from the campus you find yourself in Mordor.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Berkut

Quote from: PDH on December 10, 2014, 09:11:49 PM
I would say Fort Collins, Colorado (home of the vile Colorado State)...but they make darn good beer there.

Really?

I lived in Ft. Collins for a year, and I thought it was one of the nicest places I've ever lived...and I've lived a lot of places.

Great size, just big enough for a major university, regional hospital, decent sized mall, but not really a metro area. And Denver is close enough to get to easily but far enough away that Ft. Collins isn't really part of it in any way.

And of course the Front Range is just plain gorgeous.

I freaking LOVED Ft. Collins...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Princess Anne, Maryland.  Home of the University of Maryland, Eastern Shore.

3,922 minority students at a historical black land grant university nestled in a historical Klan town with population of 3,300.   And with absolutely nothing to do at all.

Valmy

Lubbock, College Station, and Norman are all horrible in their own special ways.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on December 10, 2014, 09:53:10 PM
Lubbock, College Station, and Norman are all horrible in their own special ways.

In 1983, my Dad interviewed for chief of police of Lubbock.  To this day, I still thank the stars at night that shine so bright for dodging that fucking bullet.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 10, 2014, 10:02:15 PM
New Haven is pretty terrible too.

Oh god yes.

In the exact opposite sort of sucking - Palo Alto is terrible as a college town. While I guess 5 persian rug stores are great for the well-to-do there isn't much that jives with a college budget. Next door Mountain View was lovely as a cheap regular suburb, but unfortunately not easily accessible for a night on the town.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Charleston, IL (Eastern Illinois) was pretty lame. As was Greenville, NC (East Carolina).

My old hometown of Huntington, WV isn't looking so hot these days, but it was decent enough for night spots and whatnot when I was there.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM