A hitchiker (N. America)?
4 (28.6%)
A hitcher-upper (N. America)?
2 (14.3%)
A hitchiker (Europe, et al)?
3 (21.4%)
A hitcher-upper (Europe, et al)?
2 (14.3%)
A killer on the road, your brain squirming like a toad (American West)?
3 (21.4%)
The Misfit (Southeastern USA)?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

I gave a middle aged lady "who had run out of gas and needed to meet up with her friends downtown who could help her" a ride a couple weeks back.  Other than that, neither given nor taken.

Monoriu

I've heard horror stories that in some places it is illegal not to give hitchikers a ride.  I think they are some places in Europe and Western Australia. 

mongers

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 08, 2014, 08:11:38 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 08, 2014, 07:50:56 PM
So what do you think are the pros and cons of hitch-hiking?

If we (in the US) lived in a society that 1) wasn't prone to a relatively high amount random violence, and more importantly 2) wasn't prone to hysterical overreaction to perceived threats, I think the pros of hitchiking would be too numerous to be worth counting.

As is, the pros are mainly helping somebody out of a pretty serious jam when there's no public transportation available, and meeting some interesting characters.  The cons of course are the specter of danger (even if it isn't backed out) or getting the hard-sell to take someone somewhere out of the way and parting on bad terms, or like my drunk guy, getting peripherally involved in a sad, unpleasant, and possibly violent situation.

The pros and cons of actually hitchiking, I don't know.  Free or very cheap.  Gets you the 1.5 miles to the supermarket in a dry 7 minutes rather than a wet 20.  Meet somewhat less interesting people than the other way around.  Hard to get a ride if you're a male-female couple

Thanks for the Capt. though in part I was 'channeling' a Roger Walter's album called 'The Pros and Cons of Hitch-hiking'.  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Had some memorable times hitching in England/Scotland and out of West Berlin back in the day.

Good times. :)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: mongers on December 08, 2014, 09:32:22 PM

Thanks for the Capt. though in part I was 'channeling' a Roger Walter's album called 'The Pros and Cons of Hitch-hiking'.  :blush:

Sadly, I don't have a clue about your and Josephus' prog-rock in-jokes.  Can't stand Floyd, if the cruel truth must be told. :Embarrass: Or Rush.  I do like Richard and Linda Thompson quite a lot, though.  Not that those 3 groups have hardly anything in common except 'virtuoso' guitar work.  I really can't stand Led Zeppelin, though, not even for 20 seconds on the radio; not sure why, since it's not bad hard rock objectively.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 08, 2014, 09:46:38 PM
Sadly, I don't have a clue about your and Josephus' prog-rock in-jokes.  Can't stand Floyd, if the cruel truth must be told. :Embarrass: Or Rush.  I do like Richard and Linda Thompson quite a lot, though.  Not that those 3 groups have hardly anything in common except 'virtuoso' guitar work.  I really can't stand Led Zeppelin, though, not even for 20 seconds on the radio; not sure why, since it's not bad hard rock objectively.

Good man.  For somebody that knows their pharmacology, at least you never bought into bullshit beer and stoner rock.  Rush.  Rush to puke, maybe.  And Led Zeppelin sucks redneck ass.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 08, 2014, 09:49:08 PM
Good man.  For somebody that knows their pharmacology, at least you never bought into bullshit beer and stoner rock.  Rush.  Rush to puke, maybe.  And Led Zeppelin sucks redneck ass.

:hug:  Once you're a practicing PharmD, you've got to find the right music for the right the cocktail.  Miles Davis almost always works; Kind of Blue for your tranquility, Bitches Brew for your other planet, On The Corner for your grinding stimulation.  :smoke:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Ed Anger

I like Tom Sawyer and Subdivisions. Because they played them in the arcades.

Eat me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 08, 2014, 10:08:10 PM

Eat me.

Don't forget to bring that extra butane for that 18 minute version of "Freebird." 

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ideologue on December 08, 2014, 08:28:45 PM
So you scabbed and violated the law? :hmm:

I didn't cross no picket line. :mad:  The transit strike was so fucked from the outset -- they gave up their biggest bargaining chip by agreeing not to start the strike until all the playoffs/World Series fans down at the stadium were returned to the central commuter rail stations, rather than engaging brinksmanship over the possibility of stranding thousands of drunk suburban Phillies fans in a packed station near nothing at the edge of town. 

And then the commuter rail union didn't join the strike, and you can hit a bunch of the city that way, so everyone crammed on that.  The strike was not very popular, even by transit strike standards; one of the demands was for bus drivers to be allowed to talk on their cell phones while driving. :mellow:

So I was just softening the pain of my fellow workers while this doomed adventure played out over 9 days.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 08, 2014, 10:09:58 PM

Eat me.

Don't forget to bring that extra butane for that 18 minute version of "Freebird."

I only play Skynard to annoy Liberuls.

Ideologue

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 08, 2014, 10:16:18 PM
And then the commuter rail union didn't join the strike, and you can hit a bunch of the city that way, so everyone crammed on that.  The strike was not very popular, even by transit strike standards; one of the demands was for bus drivers to be allowed to talk on their cell phones while driving. :mellow:

Goofing off on the phone is the cardinal right of the worker, man.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 08, 2014, 10:17:17 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 08, 2014, 10:09:58 PM

Eat me.

I only play Skynard to annoy Liberuls.

I like Skynyrd.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

I've hitchhiked a bit in the US, Canada, Germany, and Ireland in my younger years.