A hitchiker (N. America)?
4 (28.6%)
A hitcher-upper (N. America)?
2 (14.3%)
A hitchiker (Europe, et al)?
3 (21.4%)
A hitcher-upper (Europe, et al)?
2 (14.3%)
A killer on the road, your brain squirming like a toad (American West)?
3 (21.4%)
The Misfit (Southeastern USA)?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Capetan Mihali

I've never hitched to my memory... maybe some dinky shit on one of those islands in the harbor of Portland, Me.

But I have picked up hitchers a number of times.  Usually it is just a sad sack caught in a rainstorm who I can expedite a mile and a half to the shopping center or town.  Oh, I also did a little free-for-all cabbying during the Phila. transit strike when I had a car but no job, just cruised the main El and bus routes at peak hours for a few bucks each; very safe and sedate working people.

One in Vermont was real drunk, fresh out of the joint, and on his way to present an ultimatum to his ex-girlfriend ('leave with me for Georgia or I will kill myself') at the sleazy motel where she was lodging. :hmm:  We had a nice 45-minute talk therapy session (C. Mihali, J.D., M.S.W. :swiss:) about not getting fixated on the idealized past and not using her as a crutch to avoid self-actualization, before I left him in the Michael's parking lot with a Diet Dr. Pepper, my best regards, and a $175 bill for my psychoanalytic services.  Didn't read about any murder or suicide the next day, so all's well that ends well.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Monoriu

Hitchiking doesn't exist in Hong Kong. 

Elsewhere, my policy is never.  I never pick up those people.  I was also offered a ride by complete strangers on occasions (like when I failed to catch a departing bus in Vancouver).  I always refuse. 

mongers

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 08, 2014, 07:47:04 PM
I've never hitched to my memory... maybe some dinky shit on one of those islands in the harbor of Portland, Me.

But I have picked up hitchers a number of times.  Usually it is just a sad sack caught in a rainstorm who I can expedite a mile and a half to the shopping center or town.  Oh, I also did a little free-for-all cabbying during the Phila. transit strike when I had a car but no job, just cruised the main El and bus routes at peak hours for a few bucks each; very safe and sedate working people.

One in Vermont was real drunk, fresh out of the joint, and on his way to present an ultimatum to his ex-girlfriend ('leave with me for Georgia or I will kill myself') at the sleazy motel where she was lodging. :hmm:  We had a nice 45-minute talk therapy session (C. Mihali, J.D., M.S.W. :swiss:) about not getting fixated on the idealized past and not using her as a crutch to avoid self-actualization, before I left him in the Michael's parking lot with a Diet Dr. Pepper, my best regards, and a $175 bill for my psychoanalytic services.  Didn't read about any murder or suicide the next day, so all's well that ends well.

So what do you think are the pros and cons of hitch-hiking?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

No. There was a hot guy that I almost picked up once. I say almost because I couldn't figure out what he was doing until I was already many yards further down the road. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

I used to give hottie defendants rides home from detention centers out in the sticks if they agreed to...stuff.  But hitchiking?  Too many sex weirdos out there, man.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 08, 2014, 07:55:22 PM
I used to give hottie defendants rides home from detention centers out in the sticks if they agreed to...stuff.  But hitchiking?  Too many sex weirdos out there, man.

It's like a scene out of Bad Lieutenant.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

But hitchiking?  Too many sex weirdos out there, man.

Pot, kettle?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on December 08, 2014, 07:58:13 PM

Pot, kettle?

Hey, those breasts weren't going to get home by themselves, you know.

PRC

Used to hitchhike all the time on Vancouver Island.  Up and down the island as a highschooler and adult.  Have hitched in various places across Canada over the years as well.  Don't really do it anymore but it was a good way to get around back in the day.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 08, 2014, 07:59:49 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 08, 2014, 07:58:13 PM

Pot, kettle?

Hey, those breasts weren't going to get home by themselves, you know.

I have no idea what breasts will do or not do. -_-

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on December 08, 2014, 07:51:48 PM
I say almost because I couldn't figure out what he was doing until I was already many yards further down the road. -_-

A lot easier(mentally) to stop for someone ahead of you than to stop and turn around or back up. :yes: The one time I picked up a hitcher it was on the on-ramp.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: mongers on December 08, 2014, 07:50:56 PM
So what do you think are the pros and cons of hitch-hiking?

If we (in the US) lived in a society that 1) wasn't prone to a relatively high amount random violence, and more importantly 2) wasn't prone to hysterical overreaction to perceived threats, I think the pros of hitchiking would be too numerous to be worth counting.

As is, the pros are mainly helping somebody out of a pretty serious jam when there's no public transportation available, and meeting some interesting characters.  The cons of course are the specter of danger (even if it isn't backed out) or getting the hard-sell to take someone somewhere out of the way and parting on bad terms, or like my drunk guy, getting peripherally involved in a sad, unpleasant, and possibly violent situation.

The pros and cons of actually hitchiking, I don't know.  Free or very cheap.  Gets you the 1.5 miles to the supermarket in a dry 7 minutes rather than a wet 20.  Meet somewhat less interesting people than the other way around.  Hard to get a ride if you're a male-female couple
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 08, 2014, 08:11:38 PM
Hard to get a ride if you're a male-female couple

lol, depends on which side of the equation you're on.

Ideologue

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 08, 2014, 07:47:04 PM

So you scabbed and violated the law? :hmm:

QuoteOne in Vermont was real drunk, fresh out of the joint, and on his way to present an ultimatum to his ex-girlfriend ('leave with me for Georgia or I will kill myself') at the sleazy motel where she was lodging. :hmm:  We had a nice 45-minute talk therapy session (C. Mihali, J.D., M.S.W. :swiss:) about not getting fixated on the idealized past and not using her as a crutch to avoid self-actualization, before I left him in the Michael's parking lot with a Diet Dr. Pepper, my best regards, and a $175 bill for my psychoanalytic services.  Didn't read about any murder or suicide the next day, so all's well that ends well.

But hanks for the soda, man. :hug:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Anyway, I pick up folks from time to time.  I took a homeless guy a couple miles to the bus station a year or so ago.  I frisked him first.

I've never taken anybody particularly far.  I think the most was 20 miles down highway 25.  He didn't look like Rutger Hauer.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)