News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

CIA Report

Started by Sheilbh, December 08, 2014, 02:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on December 11, 2014, 05:28:08 PM
WTF does "just waterboarding" mean anyway?  Since when did waterboarding become "just waterboarding"?

Apparently it used to be torture - when the Japanese did it to US soldiers ... the US had them tried for war crimes.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/02/AR2007110201170.html
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

11B4V

Quote"Well, if I were in charge, they would know that waterboarding is how we'd baptize terrorists."- Palin

:lol:

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on December 11, 2014, 05:30:15 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 11, 2014, 05:24:11 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 11, 2014, 05:22:42 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 11, 2014, 04:30:39 PM
Was EIT legal at the time?

No

Then prosecute or they should STFU.

I gotta say I agree. I don't buy the whole "naming and shaming" and "learning from mistakes" bullshit. Not when someone is alleging war crimes.

I don't get it. Obviously, it would be preferable to have prosecutions - but if they won't do that, seems to me, having the maytter made public is better than not.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on December 11, 2014, 05:33:27 PM

No

I gotta say I agree. I don't buy the whole "naming and shaming" and "learning from mistakes" bullshit. Not when someone is alleging war crimes.

I don't get it. Obviously, it would be preferable to have prosecutions - but if they won't do that, seems to me, having the maytter made public is better than not.

Right?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

No

The AP dont give a shit.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

No

I don't know. What purpose does it serve if no real consequences are to follow? That some politicos and pundits stage out a morality play about how "we always do the right thing in the end"? Then the cost of releasing such a report is much greater than the benefit. We are not in kindergarten. We are adults.

The US government is acting like a cheating husband who is hit by remorse, confesses and then expects to be praised for being so honest and transparent.

crazy canuck

No

I see, so if a criminal prosecution is not possible because of say immunity from prosecution no one should ever know that something like this happened?  Now that is an interesting view.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on December 11, 2014, 05:35:42 PM
I don't know. What purpose does it serve if no real consequences are to follow? We are not in kindergarten. We are adults.

The government is accountable to the people.  That means the people get to know what is being done in their name and with their resources.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

11B4V

No

I don't know. What purpose does it serve if no real consequences are to follow? That some politicos and pundits stage out a morality play about how "we always do the right thing in the end"? Then the cost of releasing such a report is much greater than the benefit. We are not in kindergarten. We are adults.

The US government is acting like a cheating husband who is hit by remorse, confesses and then expects to be praised for being so honest and transparent.

:lol: essentially yes.

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 11, 2014, 05:35:59 PM

No

I see, so if a criminal prosecution is not possible because of say immunity from prosecution no one should ever know that something like this happened?  Now that is an interesting view.

It's not like the reveal happens from an agency that is unable to prosecute. It is done by the US government. Who can prosecute but chooses not to. If you allege someone committed crimes as horrible as that, and yet choose not to prosecute, it means you are either morally bankrupt or lying.

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on December 11, 2014, 04:41:47 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 11, 2014, 04:36:23 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 11, 2014, 04:04:58 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 11, 2014, 03:04:37 PM
So when are they prosecuting.

Is that gonna happen?

I've been told elsewhere that it is unlikely to happen for political reasons... what do you all think? Will it be shock and disgust and eventually it'll go away? Or will there be actual repercussions for the responsible parties?

What's the point of releasing the report if no prosecutions are going to follow? I am asking seriously - this is not a rhetorical question.

If there is a crime, there must be a punishment. Otherwise it is just snuff film voyeurism and claptrap about how "we overcome our inner darkness", "do the right thing in the end" and similar bullshit.

Political BS

Like those people going on about Benghazi then?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

How much in the report is new information?  We already knew about waterboarding, extraordinary rendition, sleep deprivation, loud music, stress positions, etc.

Malthus

I don't know. What purpose does it serve if no real consequences are to follow? We are not in kindergarten. We are adults.

Not having prosecutions and not having consequences are two different things. The "consequences" are presumably political. 11B4V may well be correct that Americans "don't give a shit", but then again, he may be wrong: they at least have the right to know what the fuck their government is doing so they can decide, right?

Say the opposite happened - the matter was kept strictly secret, but everyone who participated - presumably, a bunch of anonymous spooks and some bureaucrats and politicos - were prosecuted and punished (in strictest secrecy, natch.) Would those "consequences" be so much greater?

11B4V

When Putin heard of this he prbably said, "WTF are they doing  :lol: :lol: :lol:, silly self righteous Americans."

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 11, 2014, 05:41:48 PM
How much in the report is new information?  We already knew about waterboarding, extraordinary rendition, sleep deprivation, loud music, stress positions, etc.

Deaths, hypothermia, being made to stand on broken limbs, anal "feeding" - these are new, at least to me.

Also, the high rate of people who turned out to be innocent in the end.