Main Menu

CIA Report

Started by Sheilbh, December 08, 2014, 02:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

QuoteImpending CIA Interrogation Report Creates Fear of Violence
Dec 7, 2014, 7:36 PM ET
By ABC News

U.S. embassies around the world are bracing for a potentially explosive report about to be released that details what the CIA did to terror suspects in the days after the Sept. 11 terror attacks, and the fear is that its release could threaten American lives.

The report, due to be released Tuesday by the Senate, is described as shocking in its very graphic descriptions of secret interrogations, including some details that have never been heard before.

All U.S. facilities around the world are being urged to review security and brace for the reaction, with concern particularly high in areas where there are hot spots, in the Middle East and North Africa.

The CIA and the Bush administration have already faced heavy criticism for post 9/11 interrogation techniques at so-called "black sites" across the world.

The use of waterboarding stopped many years ago, but, according to those who have seen this report, ugly new details about those procedures will be revealed, where prisoners were sexually demeaned, and CIA interrogators were urged to continue, even after concluding that no more information could be gleaned. (:blink:)

The Muslim world has erupted many times before when the U.S. and the West have been accused of religious and cultural slights. The chairman of the House Intelligence Committee said that if this report is released, groups like ISIS will take full advantage.

House Intelligence Committee chairman Mike Rogers, R-Mich., said in an interview with ABC News chief global affairs correspondent Martha Raddatz that the report would provide ISIS and other terror organizations a public relations bonanza.

"They don't have to be accurate or right. They just have to believe it's true and they will take advantage of that," Rogers said. "We know that ISIL propaganda operations will -- this is the motherload for them."

Rogers said that there is credible warning that release of the report will endanger Americans around the world.

"You have foreign leaders saying this report in its current form will incite violence," he said. "You have liaison partners in the intelligence community saying this will incite violence. This will in fact incite violence and it's likely to cost someone their life."

He said he thinks the release of the report should at least be delayed.

"I am hoping that there is a change of heart between now and Tuesday to at least suspend the report," he said.

Obama administration officials have said they favor making the report public, but on Friday Secretary of State John Kerry asked Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., the head of the Senate Intelligence Committee, to consider the timing of the release.

ABC News' Dean Schabner contributed to this report.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

QuoteThe Muslim world has erupted many times before when the U.S. and the West have been accused of religious and cultural slights.

Like they say, moon worshipers in glass houses shouldn't be throwing rocks to stone rape victims.  Or something.

I can appreciate the commitment to transparency as befitting the shining city on a hill, but what the CIA did behind closed doors isn't really anybody's business but that of the American people.  Anyway, it's not like anybody's going to be held responsible or go to jail. 

The Brain

America stood by its torture, it's not like they tried to hide it. They were proud of it and eager to talk about it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

The rest of the world's hypocrisy on the matter is noted.

lustindarkness

CIA report: [spoiler]Censored for national security reasons.[/spoiler]
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 08, 2014, 02:58:43 PM
, but what the CIA did behind closed doors isn't really anybody's business but that of the American people.   

Agreed but it is the business of the American people.
Too bad there is no way to make that information available to the US public without also making available globally.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I hope Yi and Derspeiss have forwarded their defense recommendations to all our diplomatic staff.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 08, 2014, 03:21:26 PM
, but what the CIA did behind closed doors isn't really anybody's business but that of the American people.   

Agreed but it is the business of the American people.
Too bad there is no way to make that information available to the US public without also making available globally.

Let's not, and say we did.

Martinus

There is one more aspect you guys may be not aware of - every time these revelations resurface, those politicians in Poland who were implicated in the "CIA prisons" scandal are being badly hurt, politically speaking.

I don't mind that as I think it was a disgrace that our government was involved - but I imagine the end result will be that only non-democratic, authoritarian regimes that do not have to care for the public opinion, will want to cooperate with you on stuff like that in future.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on December 08, 2014, 03:38:57 PM
but I imagine the end result will be that only non-democratic, authoritarian regimes that do not have to care for the public opinion, will want to cooperate with you on stuff like that in future.

Which is why I started the First Annual "Bring Hosni Home for The Holidays" Fundraiser, dedicated to rehoming and providing needed enrichment activities for today's aging yet active former dictators who provided invaluable services to American foreign policy when we needed them most.

Better picture of Rufus, by the way.  Last one looked like you had him on "Tumble Dry - Medium" for 40 minutes.

Martinus

Well, in this one he was younger and fresh out of bath. I need to bathe him again. :P

Zanza

but what the CIA did behind closed doors isn't really anybody's business but that of the American people. 
The idea that torturing foreigners is something that is exclusively the business of the American people shows how you don't understand what this did to the perception of America in the world.

derspiess

Were panties and menstrual blood involved with these techniques?  Or did they demean them by having a girl laugh at their small peepees?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zanza on December 08, 2014, 04:05:03 PM
but what the CIA did behind closed doors isn't really anybody's business but that of the American people. 
The idea that torturing foreigners is something that is exclusively the business of the American people shows how you don't understand what this did to the perception of America in the world.

I know precisely what it did to the perception of America in the world:  it took it to 11.  We've been doing this shit since the 50's, pal.  You can hate us only so much more.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on December 08, 2014, 04:09:49 PM
Were panties and menstrual blood involved with these techniques?  Or did they demean them by having a girl laugh at their small peepees?

You'll have to wait until the report comes out to get your vicarious torturer rocks off  :(