Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on December 11, 2014, 02:49:14 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 11, 2014, 02:47:28 PM
"He's been in there too long.  And why is the water running?"

"Seedy, quit wasting water in there!"

"Mom, I'm practicing for my job interview in Langley next week!"

"You don't need your mother's copy of Vogue for that, goddammit."

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 11, 2014, 02:41:44 PM
Which is why I will never apply for a job that requires one, ever again;  it's bad enough to take one, but once I started working with polygraphers, I became convinced that entire process is useless and its practitioners are full of shit.

That, and I would fail.  :lol: :unsure:  :ph34r:

My FBI polygraph was a hoot.  The dude seriously thought I was lying about past drug use and being contacted by a foreign intelligence organization. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

So when are they prosecuting.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on December 11, 2014, 03:04:00 PM
My FBI polygraph was a hoot.  The dude seriously thought I was lying about past drug use and being contacted by a foreign intelligence organization.

LOL, FBI is a totally different set of noodleheads.  I have a buddy that passed 3 agency polys including the Maryland State Police and Fairfax County PD, and yet it was his poly for the FBI that the polygrapher insisted he was lying about his previous drug use.  Now this is the guy that wouldn't drink beer with us in college until he was 21, mind you.  Famous But Incompetent.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 11, 2014, 03:09:46 PM
LOL, FBI is a totally different set of noodleheads.  I have a buddy that passed 3 agency polys including the Maryland State Police and Fairfax County PD, and yet it was his poly for the FBI that the polygrapher insisted he was lying about his previous drug use.  Now this is the guy that wouldn't drink beer with us in college until he was 21, mind you.  Famous But Incompetent.

I never dabbled in any illegal drug.  Never even took one hit off of a joint.  That's what made mine so funny.  That plus trying to imagine a scenario where I'd have been contacted by some foreign spy agency. 

i flat out told the dude I had lived a very boring life by most standards and he didn't believe me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: 11B4V on December 11, 2014, 03:04:37 PM

Is that gonna happen?

I've been told elsewhere that it is unlikely to happen for political reasons... what do you all think? Will it be shock and disgust and eventually it'll go away? Or will there be actual repercussions for the responsible parties?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on December 11, 2014, 03:48:16 PM
I never dabbled in any illegal drug.  Never even took one hit off of a joint.  That's what made mine so funny.  That plus trying to imagine a scenario where I'd have been contacted by some foreign spy agency. 

i flat out told the dude I had lived a very boring life by most standards and he didn't believe me.

The thing is, there's a couple schools of thought when it comes to polygraph administration, one of which is adversarial--to challenge everything, and that you're lying until you prove you aren't.  The FBI follows the adversarial method, unfortunately. 

11B4V

Quote from: Jacob on December 11, 2014, 04:04:58 PM

Is that gonna happen?

I've been told elsewhere that it is unlikely to happen for political reasons... what do you all think? Will it be shock and disgust and eventually it'll go away? Or will there be actual repercussions for the responsible parties?

If they are not going to prosecute, then it's political BS. This will pass with no more than a blip on the public's radar. More important things.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jacob

Quote from: 11B4V on December 11, 2014, 04:09:21 PMIf they are not going to prosecute, then it's political BS. This will pass with no more than a blip on the public's radar. More important things.

What's your take on this? Who should prosecute and how would they go about it?

And I'm curious what your reaction is to the contents of the report.

11B4V

Quote from: Jacob on December 11, 2014, 04:19:56 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 11, 2014, 04:09:21 PMIf they are not going to prosecute, then it's political BS. This will pass with no more than a blip on the public's radar. More important things.

What's your take on this? Who should prosecute and how would they go about it?

And I'm curious what your reaction is to the contents of the report.

I guess, for me, we start here.

Was EIT legal at the time?

Martinus

Is that gonna happen?

What's the point of releasing the report if no prosecutions are going to follow? I am asking seriously - this is not a rhetorical question.

If there is a crime, there must be a punishment. Otherwise it is just snuff film voyeurism and claptrap about how "we overcome our inner darkness", "do the right thing in the end" and similar bullshit.

Jacob

Quote from: 11B4V on December 11, 2014, 04:30:39 PM
I guess, for me, we start here.

Was EIT legal at the time?

My (very simplistic) understanding is that it was declared legal at the time, but that declaration was wrong - that that declaration was either illegal itself, based on lies, or otherwise faulty. The issue with prosecuting this is that the responsible parties are high up enough that it would be an inherently political process; furthermore, I *think* the appropriate bodies for prosecution would be the Senate and/ Congress (i.e. some kind of hearings need to be convened), which is unlikely at the moment.

... that's my impression, but I'm very far from an expert on this, so I'd welcome any corrections/ elaborations from anyone who knows this better.

Is your concern here primarily about legality and prosecution? Do you have any thoughts on the morality of it?

Personally I would like to see prosecutions and legal sanctions enacted, but (based on my limited understanding) that is unlikely. Nonetheless, I'm quite concerned with the moral part of it as well, and it concerns me to see the US having engaged in this level of... well, I think depravity is a fairly accurate description.

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on December 11, 2014, 04:36:23 PM

Is that gonna happen?

What's the point of releasing the report if no prosecutions are going to follow? I am asking seriously - this is not a rhetorical question.

If there is a crime, there must be a punishment. Otherwise it is just snuff film voyeurism and claptrap about how "we overcome our inner darkness", "do the right thing in the end" and similar bullshit.

Political BS

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on December 11, 2014, 04:36:23 PM

Is that gonna happen?

The point, I would imagine, is to publicly shame the government into not doing it in the future for fear of such publication.

Which is probably more important that prosecuting the psychos who carried it out.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius