News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

CIA Report

Started by Sheilbh, December 08, 2014, 02:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

I like Poland more now. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on December 09, 2014, 05:15:59 PM
I like Poland more now.

But Marti brought up a valid point earlier:  you know this stuff's going to make the US look ZOMG EVEN WORSER globally, but it also hangs our friends out to dry.  We can take this heat, but nations full of Martis and Jacobs may not be able to.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on December 09, 2014, 05:19:20 PM
Wit' us or agin' us.

No, no, no...plausible deniability, people! [/broadwaychoreographer]

derspiess

If everyone's dirty, then nobody's dirty.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 09, 2014, 05:13:44 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 09, 2014, 05:06:48 PM
I'm pretty sure he was talking about soldiers, not torturers.

The bad guys pretty much rewrote the rules on game day.   Don't hate the player.

Get over it already.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on December 09, 2014, 05:22:31 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 09, 2014, 05:13:44 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 09, 2014, 05:06:48 PM
I'm pretty sure he was talking about soldiers, not torturers.

The bad guys pretty much rewrote the rules on game day.   Don't hate the player.

Get over it already.

Playa's gotta play.

The Brain

One thing to keep in mind is that this is the stuff that America tells us about, indeed bragged about. Obviously I assume that the stuff they do behind closed doors is a lot nastier.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

I have no idea why the US doesn't put an end to this.  Quite aside from being grotesquely evil, is there even any allegation that it has actually proved useful?

Seems there are lots of negatives - the damage to reputation, discouraging friends and encouraging enemies, etc. - but have there been any "plusses" in the cost-benefit analysis?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: The Brain on December 09, 2014, 05:25:38 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that this is the stuff that America tells us about, indeed bragged about. Obviously I assume that the stuff they do behind closed doors is a lot nastier.

Not just panties on the head, but Lena Dunham's panties.

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on December 09, 2014, 05:28:42 PM
Seems there are lots of negatives - the damage to reputation, discouraging friends and encouraging enemies, etc. - but have there been any "plusses" in the cost-benefit analysis?

We'll probably find out in about 20 years.

CountDeMoney

I have no idea why the US doesn't put an end to this.  Quite aside from being grotesquely evil, is there even any allegation that it has actually proved useful?

It was put to an end.  All that is contained in this report occurred between 2002 and 2008, when it was finally kaboshed by President Obama on January 22, 2009.   

Now see, what people aren't getting is that this is the part of the American Story where we examine ourselves, bringing that which was hidden to light by our democratically elected representatives, and correct the course.  We did it after the Japanese internments with the Ringle Report, the boundaries overstepped during the Red Scare and the COINTELPRO reports with the Church Committee, and now this.  It's what we do.  Can't say that about a whole lot of governments.

QuoteSeems there are lots of negatives - the damage to reputation, discouraging friends and encouraging enemies, etc. - but have there been any "plusses" in the cost-benefit analysis?

Khalid Shaykh Mohammad got rectal hydration.  I say that's a win for Democracy.

PJL

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 09, 2014, 05:39:46 PM

It was put to an end.  All that is contained in this report occurred between 2002 and 2008, when it was finally kaboshed by President Obama on January 22, 2009.   

Now see, what people aren't getting is that this is the part of the American Story where we examine ourselves, bringing that which was hidden to light by our democratically elected representatives, and correct the course.  We did it after the Japanese internments with the Ringle Report, the boundaries overstepped during the Red Scare and the COINTELPRO reports with the Church Committee, and now this.  It's what we do.  Can't say that about a whole lot of governments.

QuoteSeems there are lots of negatives - the damage to reputation, discouraging friends and encouraging enemies, etc. - but have there been any "plusses" in the cost-benefit analysis?

Khalid Shaykh Mohammad got rectal hydration.  I say that's a win for Democracy.

I think the point is that it shouldn't have started in the first place.

DGuller

To be honest, I don't find the trolling of Europeans here amusing in the least.  This was a pretty disgusting and disturbing report.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PJL on December 09, 2014, 05:42:23 PM
I think the point is that it shouldn't have started in the first place.

Then let's keep trying to unring those bells.