News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

CIA Report

Started by Sheilbh, December 08, 2014, 02:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on December 09, 2014, 11:57:33 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 09, 2014, 11:53:29 AM80 mil contract?  Tip of the iceberg.

I was thinking more of the hire-people-with-no-experience-in-interrogation to do interrogation part. I kind of wonder if they had any grounding in ethics or management of interrogators either.

:yes:

Add in the profit motive so that the more they torture the more they get paid and its not difficult to predict this kind of result.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Brazen on December 09, 2014, 11:58:47 AM
Enhanced interrogation techniques is my new favourite spook euphemism.

You think "EIT" will work its way into the Personals lexicon, like "SWF", "BBW" and "GS/WS"?

Sheilbh

I think it's a Roth/Human Stain reference.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 09, 2014, 11:53:29 AM80 mil contract?  Tip of the iceberg.

I was thinking more of the hire-people-with-no-experience-in-interrogation to do interrogation part. I kind of wonder if they had any grounding in ethics or management of interrogators either.

You want a fresh torture graduate with many years of experience who will work for free as an "internship". How unusual. :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on December 09, 2014, 12:24:15 PM
You want a fresh torture graduate with many years of experience who will work for free as an "internship". How unusual. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure hiring torture enthusiasts is going to lead to a good outcome either.

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on December 09, 2014, 12:30:05 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 09, 2014, 12:24:15 PM

I'm not sure hiring torture enthusiasts is going to lead to a good outcome either.

I don't think hiring foreigners would be a great idea.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

I was thinking more of the hire-people-with-no-experience-in-interrogation to do interrogation part.

I get it, and that is the tip of the iceberg.  All sort of money gets thrown at unqualified private contractors.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

I haven't been able to find the reference you used to determine that these two guys actually did interrogations.  Can you point me to your source.   Obviously, hiring guys who don't have experience in interrogation to actually do interrogations is a bigger problem than hiring two guys without experience in interrogation to "help develop, run, and assess the interrogation program."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on December 09, 2014, 12:43:14 PM
Obviously, hiring guys who don't have experience in interrogation to actually do interrogations is a bigger problem than hiring two guys without experience in interrogation to "help develop, run, and assess the interrogation program."

That is not so obvious to me.  People who lack experience can be trained.  But in most areas of endeavor that require some kind of professional methodology, the people who develop run and assess are typically more experienced, and for good reason.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 09, 2014, 12:46:16 PM
Obviously, hiring guys who don't have experience in interrogation to actually do interrogations is a bigger problem than hiring two guys without experience in interrogation to "help develop, run, and assess the interrogation program."

That is not so obvious to me.  People who lack experience can be trained.  But in most areas of endeavor that require some kind of professional methodology, the people who develop run and assess are typically more experienced, and for good reason.

Interrogation strikes me as an occupational avenue one could easily learn OTJ, if one were so inclined and possessed a natural disposition towards it.  Nay, a gift, if you will.  :unsure:   :ph34r:

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 09, 2014, 12:46:16 PM

Yeah, I'm of the school of thought that holds that the people designing, implementing, and monitoring programs should have some knowledge of, and ideally experience in, the kind of things the programs are about.

F.ex. if someone's going to design and monitor a financial regulatory regimen, I'd prefer it if they have some experience with financial regulations. Same goes for game design, submarine commanding, Italian cooking, and pretty much anything else. Perhaps it's overly technocratic of me, but I prefer leaders to have specific relevant experience in their fields.

crazy canuck

If the guys who "develop, run and assess" the program have no experience in how interrogations are supposed to be developed, run or assessed then how are they supposed to hire, manage and assess whether the people under their employ are doing their jobs properly?

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on December 09, 2014, 01:01:51 PM
Quote from: Jacob on December 09, 2014, 12:21:28 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 09, 2014, 12:19:26 PM
RACISS

:huh:

Are you okay?

:rolleyes:

I'll take that as a yes :lol:

But seriously, I have no idea to whom that post was addressed or what it was referring to, so it did seem a little Tourette-ish.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on December 09, 2014, 01:13:58 PM
I'll take that as a yes :lol:

But seriously, I have no idea to whom that post was addressed or what it was referring to, so it did seem a little Tourette-ish.

She said 'spook'.

IT'S A JOKE, HOWDY
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall