Erdogan: All foreigners hate us, want our money, and to see our children die!

Started by Syt, November 28, 2014, 04:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on November 28, 2014, 07:10:58 AM
Embassy and consulate services are often rolled into one in here in the capital.
With many Turks in Vienna, I thought they would separate premises for practical, efficiency reasons. Happens often in Paris. Turkish consulate there is in a close suburb, unlike the embassy for instance (usually both are in central Paris though, not far away).

From the news story I understand that the consulate branch of the embassy would provide proof of the new Austrian citizen renouncing their Turkish citizenship, but still give them citizenship/passport afterwards.

Seems a bit unorthodox, but I don't know enough about Turkish law to comment.

Martinus

I don't think Polish law prohibits dual citizenship - but this may be limited to the Polish diaspora (which, incidentally, is bullshit, as these people frequently live abroad, but get to vote in our elections and often vote for the most outlandish parties because they have no idea what really is going on in the country).

Syt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 28, 2014, 07:25:06 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 28, 2014, 07:10:58 AM
Embassy and consulate services are often rolled into one in here in the capital.
With many Turks in Vienna, I thought they would separate premises for practical, efficiency reasons. Happens often in Paris. Turkish consulate there is in a close suburb, unlike the embassy for instance (usually both are in central Paris though, not far away).

Well, in the case of Germany, when I got a new passport in 2007, the passport service was at the embassy proper. Last year they had moved that office to a few blocks away.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on November 28, 2014, 04:30:44 AM
Considering the significant amount of people living in Vienna with Turkish roots, and a significant amount of them being Erdogan fanbois (last year we had thousands protesting in his favor during the Gezi protest thing, and more attending his election campaign rally here earlier this year) I find it useful to know what's going on in Turkish politics.
It'd be interesting to see the demographics of London and Vienna's Turkish communities (is ours a lot more Kurdish? yours a lot more Anatolian?) because here there were only very big pro-Gezi protests in Trafalgar Square that I know of.

QuoteI don't think Polish law prohibits dual citizenship - but this may be limited to the Polish diaspora (which, incidentally, is bullshit, as these people frequently live abroad, but get to vote in our elections and often vote for the most outlandish parties because they have no idea what really is going on in the country).
UK's fine with dual nationality too.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 28, 2014, 10:27:18 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 28, 2014, 04:30:44 AM
Considering the significant amount of people living in Vienna with Turkish roots, and a significant amount of them being Erdogan fanbois (last year we had thousands protesting in his favor during the Gezi protest thing, and more attending his election campaign rally here earlier this year) I find it useful to know what's going on in Turkish politics.
It'd be interesting to see the demographics of London and Vienna's Turkish communities (is ours a lot more Kurdish? yours a lot more Anatolian?) because here there were only very big pro-Gezi protests in Trafalgar Square that I know of.

A large part of the Turkish community here are from conservative rural areas, as those are traditionally the areas where guest workers were from. Their families later joined them. Integration has been bumpy, though it's become better with second and third generation immigrants IMO.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on November 28, 2014, 10:40:19 AM
A large part of the Turkish community here are from conservative rural areas, as those are traditionally the areas where guest workers were from. Their families later joined them. Integration has been bumpy, though it's become better with second and third generation immigrants IMO.
Interesting. Looking it up (and I should have known because this reflects my experience in London) about 50-60% of the British Turk community's originally Turkish Cypriot. The rest are from the mainland and were often brought over by the Turkish Cypriots to work in their businesses. Recently apparently there's a mini-trend of German and Dutch Turks moving to the UK.

Kurds started arriving later.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Really Shielbh?  You go on about how Erdogan is not totally loony and then he says nonsense like this and you go on with random discussions about Turks in London?

You going to address how this insanity fits into your theories yet?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on November 28, 2014, 04:47:24 PMReally Shielbh?  You go on about how Erdogan is not totally loony and then he says nonsense like this and you go on with random discussions about Turks in London?

You going to address how this insanity fits into your theories yet?
My theory is and has been for a while that he's becoming like Putin. I don't see how anything he's said wouldn't fit with that. Historical revisionism and a persecution complex aren't exactly unknown in the Kremlin. Remember the person I'm comparing him to goes diving on holiday and returns with ancient Greek amphorae.

If my theory were Putin is slowly morphing into, say, Adenauer then I accept there'd be an issue.

But I don't think he's Turkmenbashi or one of the Kims, I don't think he's Khomeini and I don't think he's worse than a military coup that would lead to an even stronger Islamist backlash further down the line.

Ultimately I think either the Turkish opposition need to get their act together which is unlikely, or he'll end up being brought down when the economy goes down which it will given his policies.

I find the fact there are pro-AKP demonstrations in Vienna really striking because during Gezi I went through at least two absolutely massive pro-Gezi demonstrations in Trafalgar Square.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I've looked up last years protest: Der Standard has logged the number of participants at "ca. 8000" in June 2013. http://dastandard.at/1371170405902/Pro-Erdogan-Demo-Wien-ist-mit-dir

(Looking at the article pictures, I think I posted about it back then.)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 28, 2014, 05:11:23 PM
My theory is and has been for a while that he's becoming like Putin. I don't see how anything he's said wouldn't fit with that. Historical revisionism and a persecution complex aren't exactly unknown in the Kremlin. Remember the person I'm comparing him to goes diving on holiday and returns with ancient Greek amphorae.

If my theory were Putin is slowly morphing into, say, Adenauer then I accept there'd be an issue.

But I don't think he's Turkmenbashi or one of the Kims, I don't think he's Khomeini and I don't think he's worse than a military coup that would lead to an even stronger Islamist backlash further down the line.

Ultimately I think either the Turkish opposition need to get their act together which is unlikely, or he'll end up being brought down when the economy goes down which it will given his policies.

I find the fact there are pro-AKP demonstrations in Vienna really striking because during Gezi I went through at least two absolutely massive pro-Gezi demonstrations in Trafalgar Square.

Or the best of all worlds: he can completely screws the pooch and Islamists acquire another object lesson in dumbass ideas.

Viking

If we wanted the muslims' money we probably wouldn't be giving them social assistance when the come to our countries.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Sheilbh is right, objectively speaking, but ignores that Turkey is a NATO member.

If Erdogan is "only like Putin" then it means he can invade a neighbouring state - which would be a much bigger problem for the West than whatever Putin does in Ukraine.

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on November 29, 2014, 09:39:19 AM
Sheilbh is right, objectively speaking, but ignores that Turkey is a NATO member.

If Erdogan is "only like Putin" then it means he can invade a neighbouring state - which would be a much bigger problem for the West than whatever Putin does in Ukraine.

Yes, because those alleged turks in Cyprus are local self defense forces who are just there to make sure there is a referendum. Any resemblence to Turkish Military units is incidental, anybody can get M-60 tanks, M-16s and 155mm guns at Cypriot Walmart.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on November 29, 2014, 09:39:19 AM

I thought we *wanted* him to invade Syria.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?