News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bill Cosby sex abuse scandal

Started by Caliga, November 24, 2014, 01:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I'm surprised rape has a statute of limitation of 10 years in the US, given that certain crimes do not appear to have a statute of limitation or that it is very long.  :huh:

Martinus

QuoteCosby "has evidenced a predilection for sexual contact with women who are unconscious or drugged. His victims are young, 'star struck' and totally trusting of his public persona," Troiani argued.

That's an euphemism. That's like saying Ted Bundy had evidenced a predilection for performing medically unnecessary trepanning on young men.

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on July 07, 2015, 02:57:13 AM
QuoteCosby "has evidenced a predilection for sexual contact with women who are unconscious or drugged. His victims are young, 'star struck' and totally trusting of his public persona," Troiani argued.

That's an euphemism. That's like saying Ted Bundy had evidenced a predilection for performing medically unnecessary trepanning on young men.

You're getting your Bundy and Dahmer mixed up.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on July 07, 2015, 02:55:11 AM
I'm surprised rape has a statute of limitation of 10 years in the US, given that certain crimes do not appear to have a statute of limitation or that it is very long.  :huh:
because there are worst thing than being raped.  Like drinking a beer while you're only 20yo, for instance.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Martinus

Quote from: viper37 on July 07, 2015, 10:39:22 AM
because there are worst thing than being raped.

Not if you ask Sansa.

Razgovory

Goddamn Marty, way to reverse yourself.

QuoteIt's 30 years for murder, 10-20 for other felonies, depending on the type, 5 for misdemeanor. This then gets prolonged (between 5 and 10 years, depending on a type of crime) if during that period proceedings against a person are started.

Only crimes against humanity, war crimes and genocide do not get treated that way. Also for crimes committed by the communist regime, this does not start running until communism ended.

I am surprised by your surprise, to be honest. We got this idea from Germany and France. In fact, I think Anglosaxon legal systems are quite unique in not having this kind of statute of limitations (at least in the West).

Are you a lawyer (I forgot). Judging from the surprise some of you guys often express at pretty universal civil law systems' institutions, it looks like you guys get no comparative legal studies at your law school at all.  :huh:

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,2370.25.html
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Dang.  You have a good memory, Raz.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on July 07, 2015, 12:22:30 PM

No, he just has a lot of time on his hands.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on July 07, 2015, 05:47:49 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 07, 2015, 12:22:30 PM

No, he just has a lot of time on his hands.

Nah, Raz does have a very good memory.  He has demonstrated that fact a number of times through the years.

MadImmortalMan

I'm surprised rape has a statute of limitation of 10 years in the US

You do tend to paint with a broad brush and assume things are true across our entire federal structure fairly often, you know.

Ten Years or Less

Many jurisdictions have a statute of limitations for ten years or less. California, Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Montana, Texas and Washington have a ten-year statute of limitations. Maine has an eight-year statute. North Dakota has a seven-year statute while Oregon, Vermont, Arkansas, New Hampshire and Hawaii have a six-year statute of limitations. Connecticut has a five-year statute and Florida has a four-year statute. Minnesota has the shortest statute of limitations of three years.

More than Ten Years

A few states have statutes of limitations that are longer than ten years in duration. For example, Pennsylvania has a twelve-year statute of limitations. Georgia, Massachusetts and Washington, D.C. have fifteen-year statutes of limitations for some forms of rape. Ohio has a 20-year statute of limitation for rape.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

I don't really understand the point of what you posted MIM.  Your blurb notes that there is something more for 4 for of the 50 states.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on July 07, 2015, 07:07:04 PM
I don't really understand the point of what you posted MIM.  Your blurb notes that there is something more for 4 for of the 50 states.

I think his point was that not only is saying "rape has a statute of limitations of 10 years in the US" inaccurate, but just the concept that there is a uniform statute of limitations across the US is off-base.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on July 07, 2015, 12:19:22 PM

Goddamn Marty, way to reverse yourself.

QuoteIt's 30 years for murder, 10-20 for other felonies, depending on the type, 5 for misdemeanor. This then gets prolonged (between 5 and 10 years, depending on a type of crime) if during that period proceedings against a person are started.

Only crimes against humanity, war crimes and genocide do not get treated that way. Also for crimes committed by the communist regime, this does not start running until communism ended.

I am surprised by your surprise, to be honest. We got this idea from Germany and France. In fact, I think Anglosaxon legal systems are quite unique in not having this kind of statute of limitations (at least in the West).

Are you a lawyer (I forgot). Judging from the surprise some of you guys often express at pretty universal civil law systems' institutions, it looks like you guys get no comparative legal studies at your law school at all.  :huh:

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,2370.25.html

What? I think 15-20 years for rape is appropriate. Besides, my surprise here was associated with the fact that, generally, US seems to have much longer statute of limitation periods than Europe, so having only 10 years for rape seems weird. Nothing inconsistent between both posts you quoted.

I know your mental disability precludes you from understanding nuance or not having extremist position on anything, but a sane person can very well think that 10 year statute of limitation for rape is too short and that 30+ years is too long.  :huh:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017