News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bill Cosby sex abuse scandal

Started by Caliga, November 24, 2014, 01:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on November 24, 2014, 06:14:55 PM
I am a bit surprised this is news.  I thought this came out awhile ago.

Anyway growing up in the 80s, finding out Bill Cosby is evil is just a bit more than I can take.  I am doing my very best to ignore it.  Man you just cannot trust anybody anymore.  How many of you guys are evil?

Only professionally.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

I'm not evil, but if I were, history would vindicate me.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

I am wondering what it is that is finally making this matter come to a head now. It has been a not so secret, secret for quite some time.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

I knew he had a history of harassment and cheating on his wife, but possibly 20 or more incidents of rape was news to me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on November 25, 2014, 09:39:35 AM

I am wondering what it is that is finally making this matter come to a head now. It has been a not so secret, secret for quite some time.

Read some speculation that the catalyst was the whole Gomeshi thing happening up in Canada - this would have a bigger impact on media types than on the general pop.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

It seems like people commenting on a joke made by Hannibal Buress started it. Which seems quite random, especially as Buress apparently has been making that joke for a while now in his stand-up routine.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on November 25, 2014, 09:52:53 AM

Read some speculation that the catalyst was the whole Gomeshi thing happening up in Canada - this would have a bigger impact on media types than on the general pop.

Hmmm. I listen to a couple of podcasts made by American comedians, where they discuss various comedy gossip, among others, and the Gomeshi thing was never mentioned. On the other hand, the joke by Buress (and the subsequent reaction to it) was widely commented on, starting from about mid-October. It seems like it was a pebble that started the avalanche, as the initial reaction from some quarters was that Buress is an upstart nobody trying to get publicity by besmirching Cosby. This seems to have led to a much stronger backlash going along the lines of "wait a minute, he is right, isn't he?"

Then it made it to the mainstream media, which triggered some victim testimonies it seems. Then Netflix dropped Cosby like a hot potato, and Jon Stuart made a joke about it. At which point Cosby was pretty much a toast.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on November 25, 2014, 10:37:41 AM
Hmmm. I listen to a couple of podcasts made by American comedians, where they discuss various comedy gossip, among others, and the Gomeshi thing was never mentioned.

I've endorsed it before, but Mark Maron's "WTF" podcast delves a lot into the LA scene, the industry of comedy writing and the bigger Hollywood/Chicago/NYC biz.  It's an interesting take on the industry, especially when he brings on fellow comics that have been there.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 25, 2014, 10:42:01 AM
Hmmm. I listen to a couple of podcasts made by American comedians, where they discuss various comedy gossip, among others, and the Gomeshi thing was never mentioned.

I've endorsed it before, but Mark Maron's "WTF" podcast delves a lot into the LA scene, the industry of comedy writing and the bigger Hollywood/Chicago/NYC biz.  It's an interesting take on the industry, especially when he brings on fellow comics that have been there.

Yeah, I listen to that one occassionally, though I prefer Red Bar Radio, which is more niche/irreverent (it is run by an ex-comedy-club owner/producer who is based in Chicago). The host often refers to Mark Maron's "WTF". Thanks to RBR, I even know who Buress is in the first place (a lot of these guys were guests on RBR 5-6 years ago, before they got famous - for some reason a shitload of US comedians come originally from the Chicago scene).

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on November 25, 2014, 10:44:15 AM
for some reason a shitload of US comedians come originally from the Chicago scene).

That's where Second City is.

Valmy

Chicago is a cultural center in the US (despite its large Polish population) and is especially famous for its live improv and sketch comedy like Second City.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2014, 10:48:09 AM
Chicago is a cultural center in the US (despite its large Polish population) and is especially famous for its live improv and sketch comedy like Second City.

Nice edit. :P

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 25, 2014, 10:51:47 AM
Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2014, 10:48:09 AM

Nice edit. :P

I thought a shoutout to your people was appropriate :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Hmmm. I listen to a couple of podcasts made by American comedians, where they discuss various comedy gossip, among others, and the Gomeshi thing was never mentioned. On the other hand, the joke by Buress (and the subsequent reaction to it) was widely commented on, starting from about mid-October. It seems like it was a pebble that started the avalanche, as the initial reaction from some quarters was that Buress is an upstart nobody trying to get publicity by besmirching Cosby. This seems to have led to a much stronger backlash going along the lines of "wait a minute, he is right, isn't he?"

Then it made it to the mainstream media, which triggered some victim testimonies it seems. Then Netflix dropped Cosby like a hot potato, and Jon Stuart made a joke about it. At which point Cosby was pretty much a toast.

Here's an article arguing for the connection.

http://www.salon.com/2014/11/17/dirty_little_open_secrets_how_the_jian_ghomeshi_scandal_helped_turn_the_tide_against_bill_cosby/

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on November 25, 2014, 10:53:57 AM

Here's an article arguing for the connection.

http://www.salon.com/2014/11/17/dirty_little_open_secrets_how_the_jian_ghomeshi_scandal_helped_turn_the_tide_against_bill_cosby/

It doesn't really argue much of a connection though - more like it just notes that as an assertion. Really it fails to support its headline.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.