The most badass person in the world? I submit: Alex Honnold

Started by alfred russel, November 24, 2014, 12:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 24, 2014, 08:20:16 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 24, 2014, 01:13:47 PM
There are just so many factors out of his control that if they go wrong - he's dead.

Sorry - I just can't call "stupid" being a badass.

:mad:   (BB, apparently, on the right)

Yosemite rules. And Spock has been known to be wrong on at least a couple very important occasions.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 24, 2014, 08:23:22 PM

Are you seriously suggesting that now, in 2014, the entirety of research on the Aztec Empire has been the reading of Spanish accounts?

I'm guessing that when Jacob contested that "As awful as the Spanish may have been, they're saints compared to the Aztecs", he wasn't contesting that the Aztecs were good guys, but that the Spanish were saints even in comparison.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on November 24, 2014, 07:49:13 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 24, 2014, 02:49:49 PM
Same thing here - if you are climbing up something, and you know that that next hold is a tough grab, and you have a 20% chance of missing it, you might take that chance with safety equipment...and then the safety equipment might just fail.

If you know that you have no safety equipment, there is a 0% chance of you taking the risk. Or rather, anyone dumb enough to take the risk will only do so about 5 times at best before they are an ex-solo climber.
:hmm: It's possible to do it more than 5 times.

DGuller is always here to tell us the odds  :)

He is probably reading this thread in the horror that Honnold may have gotten a life insurance policy. Though I can't imagine the application process went well.

Agent: "What is your address?"
Honnold: "I don't have one."
Agent: "...."
Honnold: "I live in my van."
Agent: "What is your occupation?"
Honnold: "I'm a professional rock climber."
Agent: "These days professional rock climbing is fairly safe, with harnesses and ropes right?"
Honnold: "It is, but I don't use those."

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 24, 2014, 08:28:42 PM

Yosemite rules. And Spock has been known to be wrong on at least a couple very important occasions.

Making this video was the worst of all his mistakes.  :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGF5ROpjRAU

Ideologue

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 24, 2014, 08:20:16 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 24, 2014, 01:13:47 PM
There are just so many factors out of his control that if they go wrong - he's dead.

Sorry - I just can't call "stupid" being a badass.

:mad:   (BB, apparently, on the right)

AR: doesn't get it. :(  I know, I made the reference like three times.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on November 24, 2014, 08:48:47 PM

When I saw the picture, I was like "ah so that is what Ide was talking about."  :bowler:

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on November 24, 2014, 08:23:22 PMAre you seriously suggesting that now, in 2014, the entirety of research on the Aztec Empire has been the reading of Spanish accounts?

Nope, not seriously.

Jacob

Quote from: alfred russel on November 24, 2014, 08:40:26 PMI'm guessing that when Jacob contested that "As awful as the Spanish may have been, they're saints compared to the Aztecs", he wasn't contesting that the Aztecs were good guys, but that the Spanish were saints even in comparison.

You give me too much credit. I know little about the Spanish conquest of the Aztecs, and even less of the Aztecs; so it was more of a fishing expedition, hoping for someone to post something interesting.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on November 24, 2014, 11:03:08 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 24, 2014, 08:40:26 PMI'm guessing that when Jacob contested that "As awful as the Spanish may have been, they're saints compared to the Aztecs", he wasn't contesting that the Aztecs were good guys, but that the Spanish were saints even in comparison.

You give me too much credit. I know little about the Spanish conquest of the Aztecs, and even less of the Aztecs; so it was more of a fishing expedition, hoping for someone to post something interesting.

Well, you got your monkey shit fight at the zoo instead.

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on November 24, 2014, 08:53:40 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 24, 2014, 08:48:47 PM

When I saw the picture, I was like "ah so that is what Ide was talking about."  :bowler:

The classical education is truly dead. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on November 24, 2014, 11:03:08 PM

In Mexico, there is a lot of "Aztec Pride" in recent years: official identification with the indigenous Aztecs vs. the Spanish colonizers. I've been told that there is some resistance to this from some of the indigenous groups who have oral traditions dating back to Aztec times and have preserved a severely negative point of view toward the Aztecs.

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on November 24, 2014, 02:49:49 PM
The argument posed reminds me of the argument made by Raz in the CW thread - how can rifles be more deadly than muskets if the actual casualty rate doesn't increase when everyone is armed with rifles as opposed to muskets?

The answer is the same - because the increase in deadliness is so profound it fundamentally changes the behavior of the humans involved.

If your company has to get from point A to point B across an open field and you know there are men in the woods with muskets about 80 yards away, you might take the chance (assuming the mission is important enough or you commander is stupid enough) to accept that you will lose 10% of your men getting across.

If you know there are men with rifles, and you will lose 80% of your men, you simply don't even try.

Same thing here - if you are climbing up something, and you know that that next hold is a tough grab, and you have a 20% chance of missing it, you might take that chance with safety equipment...and then the safety equipment might just fail.

If you know that you have no safety equipment, there is a 0% chance of you taking the risk. Or rather, anyone dumb enough to take the risk will only do so about 5 times at best before they are an ex-solo climber.

You can't just say "Hey, do the same thing, but use safety equipment!" If you use safety equipment, it isn't the same thing anymore, and the very process is certainly radically different.

The guy, by my standards, if fucking nuts. But he isn't stupid.

I remember that was well.  I asked you to back up your assertions with facts and you ran away.  Didn't think you'd want to bring that back up.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017