The most badass person in the world? I submit: Alex Honnold

Started by alfred russel, November 24, 2014, 12:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: lustindarkness on November 24, 2014, 03:44:52 PM
In my mind a true badass gets The Medal of Honor, many times posthumously for said action that earned them the medal.

You can only earn it once :rolleyes:

:P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 24, 2014, 04:54:17 PM
As I think about it, if you want a badass climber I give you - Stanley Waters.

In WWII he was a member of the "Devil's Brigade" - an American-Canadian special forces commando unit.  A company under his command used climbing ropes to climb the cliffs of Monte La Difense at near Montecassino.  He was involved in some heroics at Anzio for which he received a Silver Star.  My recollection was also (but I can't find confirmation) was that he was the first allied soldier in Rome.

After the war he stayed in the Canadian Army, eventually reaching the rank of Lt General and becoming commander of Mobile Command.

And upon retirement, because he hadn't done enough in his life yet, he became Canada's first elected senator.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=RAtfybsdp4sC&lpg=PA237&ots=81VW4mMuaF&dq=gen.%20stan%20waters%20anzio&pg=PA237#v=onepage&q=gen.%20stan%20waters%20anzio&f=false

Of course WWII generated tons of "badasses", so it'd be hard to say Stan Waters was the biggest of them all, but his name deserves to be in the discussion.

And of course for climbing bad-assedness, climbing cliffs in order to fight the nazis beats anything else.

Yeah, I think Waters goes in the undisputed badass categorie.

lustindarkness

Quote from: derspiess on November 24, 2014, 04:55:42 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on November 24, 2014, 03:44:52 PM
In my mind a true badass gets The Medal of Honor, many times posthumously for said action that earned them the medal.

You can only earn it once :rolleyes:

:P

LOL, but incorrect. :smarty:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on November 24, 2014, 02:13:54 PM
I agree until the point about driving a race car--the death rate among drivers is quite low. I think it is significantly higher for Honnold.

:hmm:

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 24, 2014, 05:34:38 PM
I agree until the point about driving a race car--the death rate among drivers is quite low. I think it is significantly higher for Honnold.

I meant the people that do the stuff Honnold does.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

sbr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 24, 2014, 05:34:38 PM

:lol:

CountDeMoney

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on November 24, 2014, 02:58:08 PM
Quote from: Caliga on November 24, 2014, 02:55:12 PM
It's too bad he fought for the wrong side, because von Lettow-Vorbeck was probably one of history's greatest badasses also. :cool:

I'd say the same thing about Cortes and Pizzarro.

As awful as the Spanish may have been, they're saints compared to the Aztecs.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 24, 2014, 07:30:20 PMAs awful as the Spanish may have been, they're saints compared to the Aztecs.

At least according to Spanish accounts?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on November 24, 2014, 07:31:48 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 24, 2014, 07:30:20 PMAs awful as the Spanish may have been, they're saints compared to the Aztecs.

No, Mel Gibson's accounts.

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on November 24, 2014, 02:49:49 PM
Same thing here - if you are climbing up something, and you know that that next hold is a tough grab, and you have a 20% chance of missing it, you might take that chance with safety equipment...and then the safety equipment might just fail.

If you know that you have no safety equipment, there is a 0% chance of you taking the risk. Or rather, anyone dumb enough to take the risk will only do so about 5 times at best before they are an ex-solo climber.
:hmm: It's possible to do it more than 5 times.

Monoriu

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on November 24, 2014, 01:13:47 PM
There are just so many factors out of his control that if they go wrong - he's dead.

Sorry - I just can't call "stupid" being a badass.

:mad:   (BB, apparently, on the right)

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on November 24, 2014, 07:31:48 PM

Are you seriously suggesting that now, in 2014, the entirety of research on the Aztec Empire has been the reading of Spanish accounts?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."