News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is There Life on Mars?

Started by Queequeg, November 23, 2014, 03:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think Aliens exist, and if so, what kind of aliens and do they know about us?

We're it, folks.  In all of the universe.
4 (9.1%)
Non-intelligent, not complex in the same way as earth.
5 (11.4%)
Probably sapient life out there, almost certainly impossible to reach
21 (47.7%)
Sapient life out there with greater-than-human level of technological achievement, able to observe us but have not
7 (15.9%)
Space-faring sapient life out there, has observed us, not interested/incapable of interacting with us
3 (6.8%)
Space-faring sapient life has attempted to contact us, we're stupid
1 (2.3%)
Sapient life out there, and on earth, controlling the government, AKA Barack Obama is a lizardman
2 (4.5%)
Jaron is non-terrestrial
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

lustindarkness

Quote from: Siege on December 02, 2014, 04:33:36 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 02, 2014, 03:52:39 PM
Quote from: Siege on December 02, 2014, 03:44:03 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 02, 2014, 03:40:17 PM
Why are you always vacillating between teen pop and death metal- with nothing in between?

That's unfair. I have very wide cultural horizons.
I also like anime, vampire TV shows, superhero movies, and that vilonist girl with red hair that dances while playing.

I liked True Blood, Iron Man, Avengers, Thor and Guardians of the Galaxy. :(

Gardians of the galaxy sucks balls. That chick from Avatar in green custom did not work for me at all. Thor 2 was kind of weak, when compared to Captain America 2, and True Blood sucks vs Vampire Diaries, though it still works for me.

What did you think of Agents of Hydra, er, Shield.

:ike:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on November 26, 2014, 11:35:53 AM

Dude, you are just dense. We talked about this before.
You are asking the Fermi paradox again.

It goes like this:

1- Information Technologies (IT) develop exponentially faster than space exploration tech, because of the far higher return per investment due to the practical applications of IT.

2- Because of this, the Technological Singularity is reached before FTL.

3- A post-singularity civ, in which humans have increasily merged with their technology, there is no socio-economical preasure to expand across space. Space exploration for such a civ is about scientific discovery, not colony building, trade, or resource collection, since a post-human/post-singularity civ with nanoconstruction/printing, atomic recycling,  and molecular manipulation have all the resources they can possibly need in their own star system.

4- Having the ability to build FTL starships in the nanoscale, with strong AIs or mixed BioAIs, the starships of such a civ would be invisible to our eyes and to any detection method we currently possess.

5- Given enough time, every intelligent life will either reach the Technological Singularity or self-destruct before reaching that stage of development. But in either case, Information Technologies will develop into the Singularity before space exploration can develop into FTL.

6- Because of 4 and 5, aliens have either passed through here already, invisible in their nanoscale construction level, or they have never been here. Undetectable in both cases, therefore Fermi's Paradox cannot be answered.

A technology singularity (if such a thing is possible) doesn't necessarily mean a post scarcity civilization.  The increase in technological power may result in the need to for resources with such advanced technology they may require the dismantling of entire planets for material or to catch more and more sunlight as power.  We see no examples of these megascale structures in the universe.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on December 02, 2014, 05:24:23 PM
We see no examples of these megascale structures in the universe.

That means nothing.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 02, 2014, 05:29:28 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 02, 2014, 05:24:23 PM
We see no examples of these megascale structures in the universe.

That means nothing.

It means we don't see them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Quote from: Martinus on December 02, 2014, 06:30:25 AM
What the fuck. Did Siegy's high capacity data processing circuits just activate? That was extremely cogent and clever. And very out of character.  :huh:

I am pretty sure that is when he copy/pasted something from somewhere.

CountDeMoney

Probably off the label of a Zima.