News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is There Life on Mars?

Started by Queequeg, November 23, 2014, 03:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think Aliens exist, and if so, what kind of aliens and do they know about us?

We're it, folks.  In all of the universe.
4 (9.1%)
Non-intelligent, not complex in the same way as earth.
5 (11.4%)
Probably sapient life out there, almost certainly impossible to reach
21 (47.7%)
Sapient life out there with greater-than-human level of technological achievement, able to observe us but have not
7 (15.9%)
Space-faring sapient life out there, has observed us, not interested/incapable of interacting with us
3 (6.8%)
Space-faring sapient life has attempted to contact us, we're stupid
1 (2.3%)
Sapient life out there, and on earth, controlling the government, AKA Barack Obama is a lizardman
2 (4.5%)
Jaron is non-terrestrial
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Queequeg

This is not about educated opinions, just what you think most likely.

I voted #5. 

Title misleading so I could reference Bowie. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Tonitrus

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

It seems to me (and I may be full of crap), that having everything in the right place for life to get set up is pretty damned rare.  And even then, the odds of evolving into higher-order creatures like is is probably not too great either.

If there is even life, it's probably very few and far between, and not much more likely than us to be muddling through crappy levels of technological progress.

jimmy olsen

Voted #4.

As for the question you actually asked in the thread title, I would say that it is likely there are Archaea, and perhaps even bacteria living under the surface on Mars. I also think it likely that there is multicellular life living in the oceans of Europa.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

The universe is pretty much infinite in size and there must be gazillions of Earth-like planets. As life developed on Earth pretty much at the earliest possible point of time and then quickly filled every ecological niche, it would be surprising if that that's not the case on those other gazillions of Earth-like planets. Sentient life has certainly formed elsewhere, but the question is if it is possible to bridge space and time. Space is obviously hard unless there is some way to travel faster than light that we have not yet found. Time is even harder as humanity has only been around for the tiniest fraction of the lifetime of the universe and for most of that time we were just dexterous apes, so to have another alien species nearby and able/willing to communicate etc. would be extremely coincidental.

Admiral Yi

There's a reasonable chance there is intelligent life out there, but too far to make contact before we go extinct or the sun goes supernova.

Tonitrus

And they're probably not blue-skinned, elf-like hotties who want to mate with us.  :(

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

The universe is absolutely gigantic, and it is likely that there is life somewhere.  Having said that, the distances invovled are too great, and I think it is doubtful that other lifeforms have developed the ability to reach us, if they are ever able to. 

As to the title question, I think there isn't life on Mars, but there might have been simple lifeforms there in the past.

Martinus

If there is, it's a god-awful small affair.

Martinus

Btw, I now always hear this song as if sung by Jessica Lange with a fake German accent. :(

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on November 23, 2014, 04:07:33 AM
If there is, it's a god-awful small affair.

Does that make you the girl with the mousy hair?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Finding life on Mars would probably the worst news Humanity has ever heard.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.