News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is There Life on Mars?

Started by Queequeg, November 23, 2014, 03:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think Aliens exist, and if so, what kind of aliens and do they know about us?

We're it, folks.  In all of the universe.
4 (9.1%)
Non-intelligent, not complex in the same way as earth.
5 (11.4%)
Probably sapient life out there, almost certainly impossible to reach
21 (47.7%)
Sapient life out there with greater-than-human level of technological achievement, able to observe us but have not
7 (15.9%)
Space-faring sapient life out there, has observed us, not interested/incapable of interacting with us
3 (6.8%)
Space-faring sapient life has attempted to contact us, we're stupid
1 (2.3%)
Sapient life out there, and on earth, controlling the government, AKA Barack Obama is a lizardman
2 (4.5%)
Jaron is non-terrestrial
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2014, 04:46:37 PM
Jeez.  Take a blood pressure med and do some yoga.

Don't you try your Asiatic tricks on us!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2014, 05:33:17 PM
I don't see it.  Water assumes liquid form in a very tiny temperature range.

Yeah, it's not really much of a solvent if it's ice.  There has been speculation that you use something like Florine or ammonia or liquid methane to have life live in, but water seems to work best.  We do have places in the solar system where liquid methane is common, but there doesn't seem to be life in it.

I find it rather absurd that Tim thinks it likely there is life in the solar system.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Tonitrus

The big test will be if we're ever able to determine what is under the ice on Europa.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 23, 2014, 04:12:40 PM
Quote from: Neil on November 23, 2014, 03:59:20 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2014, 03:44:52 PM
Can life forms exist without water?  That seems to be the big limiter.
Other solvents are possible, but the fact that water is one of the most common molecules in the universe makes it a very good candidate.
Our blood is red because of the iron content.  The horseshoe crab?  It's blue because of the copper content.  All sorts of nifty biological diversions are possible.
Indeed.  And Mr. Spock's blood was green because of the copper.

It would have been interesting to be able to go back into those Vendian seas and see what kinds of blood chemistries existed in animals.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 23, 2014, 07:28:33 PM
The big test will be if we're ever able to determine what is under the ice on Europa.

Honestly it's a long shot.  I hope we don't find shit.

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on November 23, 2014, 09:03:13 PMHonestly it's a long shot.  I hope we don't find shit.

Why do you hope that?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Siege

Actually, I expect to find some form of life in any planet in the Sonar system.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

PDH

I voted number 13:

I am 48 years old and I don't give a fuck.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on November 23, 2014, 09:12:02 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 23, 2014, 09:03:13 PMHonestly it's a long shot.  I hope we don't find shit.

Why do you hope that?

Great filter.  Despite it's age and size the galaxy is not buzzing with spaceships.  There is a step between lifeless planet to interstellar empire that is really hard or rare.  It may not even be possible.  We don't know what that step is.  We have covered all the steps between lifeless rock to semi-intelligent beings using the internet to bicker.  If the step is in our past it means we have overcome this bottle neck already and should be in the clear.  If the step is in our future, well then we are pretty screwed.  The appearance of life is one such step.  If life is common and has independently arisen in other places in the solar system then obviously life is not the really hard step and the chances the hard step is in our future has risen.  If we find nothing then the possibly that appearance (I want to say evolution of life but don't think that's correct) of life is perhaps the bottleneck which increases our chance of interstellar travel.

Valmy

I anticipate soon this world will be covered with the red glow of an Ur-Quan slave shield.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

I would like to think it would be WH40K Orks.  They seem like a colorful bunch.

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on November 25, 2014, 10:37:46 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 23, 2014, 09:12:02 PM

Why do you hope that?

Great filter.  Despite it's age and size the galaxy is not buzzing with spaceships.  There is a step between lifeless planet to interstellar empire that is really hard or rare.  It may not even be possible. 

Dude, you are just dense. We talked about this before.
You are asking the Fermi paradox again.

It goes like this:

1- Information Technologies (IT) develop exponentially faster than space exploration tech, because of the far higher return per investment due to the practical applications of IT.

2- Because of this, the Technological Singularity is reached before FTL.

3- A post-singularity civ, in which humans have increasily merged with their technology, there is no socio-economical preasure to expand across space. Space exploration for such a civ is about scientific discovery, not colony building, trade, or resource collection, since a post-human/post-singularity civ with nanoconstruction/printing, atomic recycling,  and molecular manipulation have all the resources they can possibly need in their own star system.

4- Having the ability to build FTL starships in the nanoscale, with strong AIs or mixed BioAIs, the starships of such a civ would be invisible to our eyes and to any detection method we currently possess.

5- Given enough time, every intelligent life will either reach the Technological Singularity or self-destruct before reaching that stage of development. But in either case, Information Technologies will develop into the Singularity before space exploration can develop into FTL.

6- Because of 4 and 5, aliens have either passed through here already, invisible in their nanoscale construction level, or they have never been here. Undetectable in both cases, therefore Fermi's Paradox cannot be answered.

The Brain

I remember reading about this. An interstellar invasion armada got eaten by a little dog.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Siege

Quote from: The Brain on November 26, 2014, 11:39:59 AM
I remember reading about this. An interstellar invasion armada got eaten by a little dog.

Post singularity civs have no reason to invade anybody.