"Whatever Happened to Overtime?", a piece written by a Job Creator

Started by CountDeMoney, November 19, 2014, 10:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 20, 2014, 03:08:02 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 20, 2014, 03:03:23 PM
I was addressing the larger issue of regulatory fines, not those specific to overtime.

Which presumably includes those for overtime.  :lol:

The concept of overtime, like dinosaurs and pensions, is merely a blip in history and will go down in the books as a late-20th century novelty in economics.  You won't have to worry about it much longer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on November 20, 2014, 09:27:50 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 20, 2014, 09:24:38 AM
Americans have been conditioned for over a century to hate all things red even at their own expense, Martim, so tossing around Das Kapital isn't going to work. The fact you are ignorant on that matter is the real novelty.

The best lie of the rich - convincing everybody that inflation is a bad thing. ;)
Inflation, the British cure to everything :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 20, 2014, 02:55:13 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 20, 2014, 02:48:39 PM
This is America, man;  every regulatory fine is never high enough, from labor and environmental standards to financial compliance and homeland security standards.  Why spend more when cutting the check for regulatory fines is always easier?

:lol: Do you know a single person who has been withheld over time pay due them?  I don't.

I knew one person who claimed that was the case. I never paid much attention or had much sympathy as he was mad lazy and did his job poorly.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 20, 2014, 02:48:39 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 20, 2014, 02:42:11 PM
That just means the regulatory fines are not high enough.  In addition to facing an order to pay all outstanding overtime within a certain period of time, employers also face escalating fines for each breach of the legislation.  Each employee not paid overtime is considered an independant breach and so the fines add up to the point where it quickly becomes unprofitable to breach the legislation.

This is America, man;  every regulatory fine is never high enough, from labor and environmental standards to financial compliance and homeland security standards.  Why spend more when cutting the check for regulatory fines is always easier?

My favorite pary is CCs assumption that these are billed hours that the company refuses to pay 1.5 for and not hours of untracked off the clock work.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 20, 2014, 03:14:20 PM
Americans have been conditioned for over a century to hate all things red even at their own expense, Martim, so tossing around Das Kapital isn't going to work. The fact you are ignorant on that matter is the real novelty.

The best lie of the rich - convincing everybody that inflation is a bad thing. ;)
In Germany it brought Hitler to power - that is why they hate it so much these days. In Britain it wiped out the 19th century's public debt, so no wonder you guys like it. ;)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on November 20, 2014, 03:22:23 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 20, 2014, 03:14:20 PM

In Germany it brought Hitler to power - that is why they hate it so much these days. In Britain it wiped out the 19th century's public debt, so no wonder you guys like it. ;)
Not just 19th century but 20th century too! It even cured gout :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

It didn't wipe out WWI debt because y'all defaulted on that.  :)

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 20, 2014, 03:27:19 PM
It didn't wipe out WWI debt because y'all defaulted on that.  :)

It's not a default if everybody does it. ;)

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Inflation, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.

Or was that beer?  :hmm:

Admiral Yi

alfred russel

There seem to be a lot more people worrying about employers ripping off employees regarding overtime than people worrying about employees ripping off employers by surfing the internet.  :hmm:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on November 20, 2014, 04:03:23 PM
There seem to be a lot more people worrying about employers ripping off employees regarding overtime than people worrying about employees ripping off employers by surfing the internet.  :hmm:

If it will make you feel better we could get someone to alert your employer.  :P

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 20, 2014, 04:38:20 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on November 20, 2014, 04:03:23 PM

If it will make you feel better we could get someone to alert your employer.  :P

I'm sure my employer has someone assigned to monitoring my internet use. Luckily, she must be distracted by her own internet surfing.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014