Rethinking Sherman's March: A Kindler, Gentler Total War?

Started by CountDeMoney, November 19, 2014, 10:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on November 20, 2014, 02:17:34 AM
Most of the chuckleheads posting murderous sentiments are, fortunately, merely trolling.  Or I hope they are.  Maybe they just think they're playing a strategy game and people's lives are just bad POPs they wish they could get ride of.

Stupid rebels always get the higher morale factors.

DGuller

Most of the chuckleheads posting murderous sentiments are, fortunately, merely trolling.
They're not murderous sentiments, they're executionist sentiments.  I'm sure the North would've given them a fair show trial before their hanging.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on November 20, 2014, 09:56:15 AM
Most of the chuckleheads posting murderous sentiments are, fortunately, merely trolling.
They're not murderous sentiments, they're executionist sentiments.  I'm sure the North would've given them a fair show trial before their hanging.

After the unspeakable slaughter that took place during the war, I'm not sure the North would have had the stomach for it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 20, 2014, 01:31:22 AM
Or let the Missouri Ruffians off the hook for all the atrocities they committed in Kansas before the war.

They should have hung those as well.  A lot of them became bandits after the war.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2014, 10:02:11 AM

After the unspeakable slaughter that took place during the war, I'm not sure the North would have had the stomach for it.

Why?  The south still did.  The Union threw blacks under the bus to keep the peace.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

dps

Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2014, 08:25:02 PM
DG is the voice of reason here.  We did let the South off too easily with Reconstruction ending way too soon.   But mass executions?  Yeah, great way to heal the nation.

A wound needs to be cleansed for it to heal properly.  We didn't clean this one well and let it get infected.  Took it a century just to scab over good, and it's still not fully healed.

The Brain

A wise man once noted that people can forgive you for killing their parents but they will never forgive you for taking their inheritance. If the Union had killed the traitors instead of taking their property any wound would have healed long ago.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on November 20, 2014, 11:22:13 AM
Quote from: derspiess on November 20, 2014, 10:02:11 AM

Why?  The south still did.  The Union threw blacks under the bus to keep the peace.

DS, you have a stalker.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on November 20, 2014, 12:09:24 PM
A wise man once noted that people can forgive you for killing their parents but they will never forgive you for taking their inheritance. If the Union had killed the traitors instead of taking their property any wound would have healed long ago.
What wise man was this? :yeahright:

Anyways, the whole war was over their right to hold human "property"
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

The Union should have punished the Planter class by confiscating their land and redistributing it amongst poor whites and former slaves.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on November 20, 2014, 09:01:31 PM
The Union should have punished the Planter class by confiscating their land and redistributing it amongst poor whites and former slaves.
Yup. Not only would it be much more moral, it would be much more effective than mass executions.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 20, 2014, 08:29:52 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 20, 2014, 12:09:24 PM
What wise man was this? :yeahright:

Machiavelli. :wub:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 20, 2014, 11:32:24 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 20, 2014, 09:01:31 PM
Yup. Not only would it be much more moral, it would be much more effective than mass executions.

Wait, maybe that's not such a good idea anyway. :hmm:

Admiral Yi

It's a terrible idea.  It would have guaranteed the permanent hostility of the governing class of the South.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 21, 2014, 12:44:14 AM
It's a terrible idea.  It would have guaranteed the permanent hostility of the governing class of the South.

Yeah, except they wouldn't be the governing class anymore.  Their basis of power was the wealth that land gave them.  No land, no power.  As it was the US gained the hostility of the ruling class who launched insurgencies and guerrilla war till they got what they wanted: The withdrawal of federal soldiers, restoration of Southern governments, and suppression of blacks.