Rethinking Sherman's March: A Kindler, Gentler Total War?

Started by CountDeMoney, November 19, 2014, 10:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2014, 04:58:12 PM
Should've split his column further and made a March to the Rio Grande as well.  Texas goofs.

That would have been as self-defeating as Napoleon marching to Moscow. Why bother with that wasteland?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2014, 03:21:12 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2014, 03:10:15 PM
Thank you for mentioning that in fairness.  derdixie.

:rolleyes: I'm a member of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War.

I just think some of you let your hatred of all things Southern cloud your judgment sometimes.  Yes, we Yankees were the good guys and the Rebels were the bad guys.  But not everyone on the Southern side was evil.

By all means, why don't we talk about how bad Americans were in Vietnam and Korea and the positives of the N. Vietnamese and N. Koreans.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2014, 03:21:12 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2014, 03:10:15 PM
Thank you for mentioning that in fairness.  derdixie.

:rolleyes: I'm a member of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War.

I just think some of you let your hatred of all things Southern cloud your judgment sometimes.  Yes, we Yankees were the good guys and the Rebels were the bad guys.  But not everyone on the Southern side was evil.

And Hitler was kind to his dog. So what.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Well, there's kind of a difference, Raz.  The Civil War was a civil war.  The other two weren't.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2014, 05:52:39 PM
Well, there's kind of a difference, Raz.  The Civil War was a civil war.  The other two weren't.

Indeed. Needed more Southern purges. :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: Kleves on November 19, 2014, 03:43:04 PM
I think we can all agree that, in the end, the main criticism that can be levelled at the March to the Sea was that Sherman didn't kill enough southerners.

Not necessarily during actual campaigning, but the Union was too kind to the rebels after the war.  There should have been several hundred thousand hung as traitors.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on November 19, 2014, 06:55:50 PM
I think we can all agree that, in the end, the main criticism that can be levelled at the March to the Sea was that Sherman didn't kill enough southerners.

Not necessarily during actual campaigning, but the Union was too kind to the rebels after the war.  There should have been several hundred thousand hung as traitors.
Yeah, it was definitely a tragic mistake that we're still paying for to this day.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on November 19, 2014, 05:52:39 PM

Well, they all could be a considered civil wars.  The difference I suspect is that you find one confederates more sympathetic then the Viet Cong.

citizen k

Quote from: DGuller on November 19, 2014, 07:02:36 PM
Yeah, it was definitely a tragic mistake that we're still paying for to this day.

We should have nuked the USSR in '45.  ;)

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 19, 2014, 10:23:34 AMCurtis LeMay as he ordered the firebombing of Japanese cities. History has deemed them heroes

:yeahright: Ide maybe
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on November 19, 2014, 06:55:50 PM

I can see the argument for former federal officials who served in the Confederate congress/cabinet/etc, and federal officers who served in the Confederate Armed Forces, but this is just genocidal crazy talk.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on November 19, 2014, 07:45:16 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 19, 2014, 07:02:36 PM
:hmm:
I was commenting on the "too nice" part, letting the South install Jim Crow laws and such.  I didn't mean to comment on the optimal number of Southerners needed to be hanged to achieve that.