News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

St. Helens part of a Super-Volcano?

Started by jimmy olsen, June 14, 2009, 01:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Neil, does all that preclude my "volcano under Tim" wish?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

Quote from: PDH on June 15, 2009, 09:07:32 AM
Why the fuck can't there be a mini-volcano under Tim?
The east coast is pretty stable in that respect.  The North American plate has stretched to his advantage.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: PDH on June 15, 2009, 09:30:05 AM
It would be easier if you were to move Tim to the volcano.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Not if he eats Taco Bell.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 15, 2009, 09:34:10 AM

Unless he produces 10,000 m3 of ejecta, he'd have a VEI of 0.  :(

PDH

Quote from: Neil on June 15, 2009, 09:32:55 AM
It would be easier if you were to move Tim to the volcano.
I see...I wonder how many Indonesian teaching positions are open...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

Quote from: Neil on June 15, 2009, 09:37:33 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 15, 2009, 09:34:10 AM
Unless he produces 10,000 m3 of ejecta, he'd have a VEI of 0.  :(
That would require quite a few items on the dollar menu.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

KRonn

Quote from: Neil on June 15, 2009, 09:26:03 AM
Quote from: KRonn on June 15, 2009, 08:50:15 AM
Scary stuff! But then, we do know that a super-volcano eruption is possible sometime, somewhere, right? There was one in the 1800s in Indonesia, I think it was called Krakatoa. Caused there to be kind of no summer across some areas, such as the northern US that year.
Tambora wasn't a supervolcano.  It was a large, powerful volcano (the most powerful in the memory of civilized man), but at least an order of magnitude less than a true supervolcano like Yellowstone or Toba.

They have a measurement for volcanic eruptions called Volcanic Explosivity Index, which measures the volume of ejecta (as if it were dense rock) from the eruption and the height of the volcanic plume.  It goes by order of magnitude, and so a VEI 5 (the St. Helens eruption was a 5) produces on the order of 1 cubic kilometre of ejecta, whereas a VEI 6 (like Krakatoa in 1883) produces on the order of 10 km3, and a VEI 7 (Tambora) produces on the order of 100 km3.  VEI 8 is the realm of the supervolcanos , and they produce over 1000 km3 worth of ejecta.  Yellowstone's last eruption was barely a VEI 8.  On the other hand, there was an eruption in Indonesia 70,000 years ago that produced about 3,000 km3.  We haven't had a VEI 8 since we became civilized.
Hmm... in that case we could be doomed, or dangerously close to it!

Neil

Quote from: KRonn on June 15, 2009, 10:08:38 AM
Scary stuff! But then, we do know that a super-volcano eruption is possible sometime, somewhere, right? There was one in the 1800s in Indonesia, I think it was called Krakatoa. Caused there to be kind of no summer across some areas, such as the northern US that year.
Tambora wasn't a supervolcano.  It was a large, powerful volcano (the most powerful in the memory of civilized man), but at least an order of magnitude less than a true supervolcano like Yellowstone or Toba.

They have a measurement for volcanic eruptions called Volcanic Explosivity Index, which measures the volume of ejecta (as if it were dense rock) from the eruption and the height of the volcanic plume.  It goes by order of magnitude, and so a VEI 5 (the St. Helens eruption was a 5) produces on the order of 1 cubic kilometre of ejecta, whereas a VEI 6 (like Krakatoa in 1883) produces on the order of 10 km3, and a VEI 7 (Tambora) produces on the order of 100 km3.  VEI 8 is the realm of the supervolcanos , and they produce over 1000 km3 worth of ejecta.  Yellowstone's last eruption was barely a VEI 8.  On the other hand, there was an eruption in Indonesia 70,000 years ago that produced about 3,000 km3.  We haven't had a VEI 8 since we became civilized.
No, what it means is that we're in no immediate danger, and there's nothing that can be done at any rate.

Cecil

Shrug the rich part of the world could probably cope with a supervolcano eruption. It would be tough but we would probably make it with proper rationing. The third world would face a massextinction however. So Neil probably wish we have one as soon as possible.  :menace:

KRonn

Quote from: Neil on June 15, 2009, 10:21:37 AM
Quote from: KRonn on June 15, 2009, 10:08:38 AM

No, what it means is that we're in no immediate danger, and there's nothing that can be done at any rate.
Heh, right; I worded that wrong. It isn't about to happen, so no doom.  I didn't realize how significant a super volcano actually was, and thought that we'd had them in historical times without such devastating effects.

Tonitrus

After the Awakening in 2012, and when Great Ghost Dance will begin, this will be used an excuse when some Native Americans appear to set off a bunch of volcanoes.

Neil

Quote from: Cecil on June 15, 2009, 11:18:28 AM
Shrug the rich part of the world could probably cope with a supervolcano eruption. It would be tough but we would probably make it with proper rationing. The third world would face a massextinction however. So Neil probably wish we have one as soon as possible.  :menace:
Depends on where it is.  Yellowstone would be moderately devastating to the civilized world.

Eddie Teach

Tambora wasn't a supervolcano.  It was a large, powerful volcano (the most powerful in the memory of civilized man),

Except of course the one that took Atlantis.  ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?