Started by jimmy olsen, June 14, 2009, 01:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Oh noes, Camper's doomed!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10578436
National RSS Email Print
Alarm bells ring over volcano find
New 4:00AM Monday Jun 15, 2009

A New Zealand geologist has triggered concerns about the possibility of another American "supervolcano" building under Mt St Helens.

GNS scientist Graham Hill has found big, connected channels of semi-molten rock beneath the southern Washington state mountain, which killed 57 people when it erupted in 1980, New Scientist magazine reports.

The discovery has revealed what may be an extraordinarily large zone of semi-molten rock, which would be capable of feeding a giant eruption.

The New Zealander led a team that set up sensors around Mt St Helens and found a column of conductive material that extends downwards from the volcano.

About 15km below the surface, the relatively narrow column appears to connect to a huge zone of conductive material.

This larger zone was first identified in the 1980s by another survey, and was found to extend all the way to beneath Mt Rainier 70km to the northeast, and Mt Adams 50km to the east.

It was thought to be a zone of wet sediment, water being a good electrical conductor.

But because the new measurements showed an apparent conduit connecting this conductive zone to Mt St Helens, Dr Hill now thought the conductive material was more likely to be a semi-molten mixture.

Its conductivity was not high enough for it to be pure magma, so it was more likely to be a mixture of solid and molten rock, he said.

But Oregon State University expert Gary Egbert, who was not a member of the research team, told the Oregon Public Broadcasting Service that he would be more cautious.

"It seems likely that there's some partial melt down there," given that it is a volcanic area, he says.

"But part of the conductivity is probably just water."

If the structure beneath the three volcanoes is a vast bubble of partially molten rock, it would be comparable in size to the biggest magma chambers ever discovered, such as the one below Yellowstone National Park.

Every few hundred thousand years, such chambers can erupt as so-called supervolcanoes - the one below Yellowstone did about 640,000 yearsago.

These enormous eruptions can spew enough sunlight-blocking ash into the atmosphere to cool the global climate by several degrees celsius.

Asked whether Mt St Helens could erupt like this, Dr Hill said: "A really big, big eruption is possible if it is one of those big systems like Yellowstone.

"I don't think it will be tomorrow, but I couldn't try to predict when it would happen."

He said further measurements probing the structure of the crust beneath the other volcanoes in the area could help to determine if the zone connects to them all.

- NZPA
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

sbr

sbr

Quote from: Palisadoes on June 14, 2009, 10:09:43 PM
Uh-oh!
At least there is an ocean between you as this shit; I have St Helens an hour to my north and Yellowstone close enough to kill me when it goes. 

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 15, 2009, 06:54:25 AM
What would Jesus do?

Keep standing outside Home Depot, like he does every day.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Palisadoes

Quote from: sbr on June 14, 2009, 11:21:17 PM
Quote from: Palisadoes on June 14, 2009, 10:09:43 PM
Uh-oh!
At least there is an ocean between you as this shit; I have St Helens an hour to my north and Yellowstone close enough to kill me when it goes.
I think you should look into relocating sometime soon haha! Pretty bad location you've got at the moment, considering.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

KRonn

Scary stuff! But then, we do know that a super-volcano eruption is possible sometime, somewhere, right? There was one in the 1800s in Indonesia, I think it was called Krakatoa. Caused there to be kind of no summer across some areas, such as the northern US that year.

alfred russel

Quote from: KRonn on June 15, 2009, 08:50:15 AM
Scary stuff! But then, we do know that a super-volcano eruption is possible sometime, somewhere, right? There was one in the 1800s in Indonesia, I think it was called Krakatoa. Caused there to be kind of no summer across some areas, such as the northern US that year.

I think Krakatoa was just a big volcano. A supervolcano is on a much more massive scale--and might have effects something akin to a nuclear winter. I think there might have been a supervolcano at some point in prehistory that almost caused humans to go extinct. Or maybe that was just a big volcano too.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 15, 2009, 07:05:39 AM
Business as usual then.

Meanwhile, disaster documentary makers creamed their pants.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Why the fuck can't there be a mini-volcano under Tim?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

Quote from: KRonn on June 15, 2009, 08:50:15 AM
Tambora wasn't a supervolcano.  It was a large, powerful volcano (the most powerful in the memory of civilized man), but at least an order of magnitude less than a true supervolcano like Yellowstone or Toba.

They have a measurement for volcanic eruptions called Volcanic Explosivity Index, which measures the volume of ejecta (as if it were dense rock) from the eruption and the height of the volcanic plume.  It goes by order of magnitude, and so a VEI 5 (the St. Helens eruption was a 5) produces on the order of 1 cubic kilometre of ejecta, whereas a VEI 6 (like Krakatoa in 1883) produces on the order of 10 km3, and a VEI 7 (Tambora) produces on the order of 100 km3.  VEI 8 is the realm of the supervolcanos , and they produce over 1000 km3 worth of ejecta.  Yellowstone's last eruption was barely a VEI 8.  On the other hand, there was an eruption in Indonesia 70,000 years ago that produced about 3,000 km3.  We haven't had a VEI 8 since we became civilized.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.