How Do You Build A Medieval Castle From Scratch ?

Started by mongers, November 18, 2014, 08:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

I'm sure more than a few of you are aware of the recreation of a typical French medieval at Guédelon. 

Well the bbc have just started a new six part series covering it, which is presented by their team of rather good experimental archaeologists and historians.

From what I've seen so far, worth a viewing if you can use bbc iplayer or find it on bbc 'international'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3sxbCWg73hTNtYCS0xnwPcH/how-do-you-build-a-medieval-castle-from-scratch?intc_type=promo&intc_location=news&intc_campaign=secretsofthecastle&intc_linkname=bbctwo_fac_guide

QuoteHow do you build a medieval castle from scratch?

By David Upshal, Executive Producer

Guédelon is the world's biggest experimental archaeological site – and some would say the most ambitious too. Since first breaking the ground in 1997 the workforce have used the tools and techniques of the 13th century to unravel the mysteries of medieval construction.

And since they are resurrecting the crafts and methods of an age before mechanization, it's all been done by hand. Which, in turn, means that everything is dependent on the skills of the workforce – a small army of stonemasons, blacksmiths, carpenters, wood-cutters, tilers, rope-makers and dyers who hand-craft every component on site.

First episode here:
Secrets of the Castle with Ruth, Peter and Tom.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04snhsg
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

I really want to make a Sheilbh joke, but I feel like I've gone full-court press on my pal today. :hug:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 18, 2014, 09:18:07 PM
I know it's hard work, but I'd love to do that.

Yeah, I've got to get down there to see it.

I would be nice if we had something like that here, a bit more substantial than the Iron/bronze age huts that are often the mainstay of what happens here.

Ender

What a bunch of losers.
Working by hand instead of using modern machinary.
This is a step backwards for mankind.

My castle would have battleship turrets on each tower.

Siege

I prefer a digital castle.
Cheaper and custom made.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

mongers

A rather excellent series, nice to see people making things using old crafts.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Crazy_Ivan80

nice find. Added to the list of places to visit (and I guess my kid will love it as he's rather into knights and castles)

mongers

Quote from: Oexmelin on December 19, 2014, 12:43:20 AM
Mongers: you should go. It's an amazing visit.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Definitely on next year's list.

merithyn

I've been tracking that castle for the last ten years, and would give my left arm to spend a year on the site. (Not that's I'd be useful with only one arm, but you know.)

Max and I have been watching the series that mongers mentions in the OP. I :wub: Ruth, Tom, and Peter, and have seen all of Ruth & Peter's series.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Rex Francorum

All the episodes are available on Youtube. Look for Secrets of the Castle with Ruth, Peter and Tom Episode [insert] BBC Documentary 2014. 5 of 6 episodes are up. Fascinating documentaries.
To rent