News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So, is this rape?

Started by Martinus, December 18, 2014, 03:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

No.  It's not about specific identity, but whether consent is given to the specific person.  For example, if I walk up to some woman and claimed to be the President of the United States and she bangs me, then that's not rape.  If Michelle Obama were bent over helping some poor customer at Target, never turning around as I claimed to be the President of the United States and railed her, that might well be rape, if she in fact did mistake my voice for our commander-in-chief's.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Well isnt that just a less extreme version of the original question? The woman willingly had sex with the guy in the room, only she thought he was mencia.

The other examples being given involve spouses. She had never met mencia before.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

No, they're different. An enormous amount of puffery is permitted by law in romance.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on December 19, 2014, 10:53:58 AM
No, they're different. An enormous amount of puffery is permitted by law in romance.

I think it is a difference in degree only.

Changing the scenario slightly. You lead a woman at a bar to believe you are Carlos Mencia, and your buddy calls you Carlos, and then you hook up with the woman. You've misled the woman into thinking she is with Carlos Mencia and she gave consent on that basis.

In this case, a guy said "Carlos Mencia is in that room" the midget apparently to some extent impersonated Carlos Mencia, and she gave consent on the basis she thought she was with Carlos Mencia.

If it qualifies as puffery to impersonate someone famous, I'm not sure if our short friend crossed the line.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tonitrus

I would bang Tina Fey, even if she convinced me she was actually Sarah Palin.

Grinning_Colossus

And of course, claiming to have a good job when you don't, or saying you're five years younger than you are, or pretending to be more confident than you actually feel inside are also frequently-practiced forms of deception, but the line has to be drawn somewhere. Tricking someone into having sex with a physically different person than they expected to might be the place to draw it.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

dps

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 19, 2014, 08:37:27 PM
I would bang Tina Fey, even if she convinced me she was actually Sarah Palin.

Logically, then, the reverse would also be true.

However, the real question is whether you'd bang Tina Fey if she convinced you she was actually Carlos Mencia.

Tonitrus

If she told me she was Carlos Mencia, and that she wanted to have sex with me, well...what is in a name, anyway?  :P

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Tina Fey in her SNL prime and on 30 Rock gave me wood, but she looked past warranty in that movie where she's on the Princeton admissions committee.  The racoon look in particular was a bad move.

Viking

Tina Fey was hott when she was doing interesting stuff. Now, not so much.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

I'm sick of hearing about what's in Fey's "20".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

sbr