News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Started by Syt, November 18, 2014, 08:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

This thread inspire me to buy Dragon Age: Origins. So far I like it.

In other news still unemployed :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Norgy

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on November 22, 2014, 11:36:08 PM
Some people have described that game as a single person MMO, which sounds like an Elder Scrolls title.
these people are confused.

There are light bugs or features working as design that bugs me, like the repeting inquisition requests to some minerals or herbs.  Just like Skyrim with its radiant quests, I never liked the system.

The graphics are way nicer than Skyrim, obviously, Skyrim was made for last generation consoles, this one is made for PS4 and Xbox One, and btw, PC.
But the graphics are stunning.

When you walk around, you have a party to accompany you, not just follower who are just there as cannon fodder.  I wouldn't advise trying it alone.

The controls are too confusing for me, I had to disable friendly fire on hard, I keep getting people stuck in the way of some spell.  Oh, and that lighting bolt attacking me as well... No, just no.

The areas are huge, but you don't walk from one place to another, just like in Skyrim.  You either reach a point on the map for travel to another place, or you go directly with the map.  Some missions are war room specific, so you need to go there with your war council, choose the mission, listen to their advice, then decide.

So, in short, no, it's nothing like Skyrim, things are a little more closed and there's a plot to tie things in.  Something Skyrim does not have.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

If you want to compare it to a game, it has much more in common with Mass Effect 3 than Skyrim.

Skyrim is a true RPG.  DA:I is closer to an action game with RPG elements.  It doesn't go as far as ME3 in simplifying the game, but it does remove some basics of the RPG game that we (well, I) used to love, like choosing your attributes, healing your party, etc.
You rely entirely on health potions, wich are replenished every time you go back to your fortress or a base camp.  During important missions, you will seldom find resupply crates when you can refill your health potions, but only those, not the others you might use (you have 3 slots to put potions, the first one is always healt potions, the second ones can be potions (health, regen, lyrium,etc), tonic (haven't unlock this yeat) or grenades like fire or pitch grenades.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

viper37

what's the ninja part?  the action movement?

Anyhow, in that game segment, he could have made his game easier by disrupting the rifts as soon as he get cleared of any demons attacking his character.  The demons are stunned for a few seconds, enough time to kill 2-3 of them.

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 23, 2014, 01:49:38 PM

:thumbsup:

Which background you going with? Human, Elf or Dwarf?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Legbiter on November 24, 2014, 06:26:01 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 23, 2014, 01:49:38 PM

:thumbsup:

Which background you going with? Human, Elf or Dwarf?
At the moment I'm a City Elf who likes like Tilda Swinton/Bowie. I'll probably try the others though.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

I enjoyed the City Elf background.

Man I miss origin stories.  So weird to see a feature so universally beloved shelved.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: viper37 on November 24, 2014, 04:03:38 PM
what's the ninja part?  the action movement?

Yeah his regular attack is like he's some kind of lacrosse player flinging magical poo at people with it. Flipping around like a dancing retard. Where's the mage of dignity and authority? I don't want a magic karate kid.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on November 24, 2014, 06:58:21 PM
I enjoyed the City Elf background.

Man I miss origin stories.  So weird to see a feature so universally beloved shelved.

I thought the City Elf background perpetrated sexist macho stereotypes about women and led to death threats against some feminist blogger.  :hmm:

Seriously though I think the point developers frequently make these days about stuff like origin stories is that they are just not worth the buck, since they are seen by only a certain percentage of gamers. So it is much more efficient to devote your resources to a part that is going to be seen by everyone.

celedhring

I think origin stories were great, they helped put you in your character's shoes and share his motivations much more than just choosing a background trait during character creation a la ME.

Solmyr

Quote from: Martinus on November 25, 2014, 04:21:20 AM
Seriously though I think the point developers frequently make these days about stuff like origin stories is that they are just not worth the buck, since they are seen by only a certain percentage of gamers. So it is much more efficient to devote your resources to a part that is going to be seen by everyone.

I dunno, don't origin stories add replay value and therefore will be seen by mostly everyone? I mean, I played through all of them even if I didn't continue the characters afterwards.

Grey Fox

Replay value is no value.

About 15% of your entire player base won't finish the game. 50% get halfway thru. Playing more than once only affects single digits % of your player base.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 25, 2014, 09:10:59 AM
Replay value is no value.

About 15% of your entire player base won't finish the game. 50% get halfway thru. Playing more than once only affects single digits % of your player base.

That's right.