News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

In space, no one can hear you nagging

Started by Ed Anger, November 14, 2014, 11:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

He's a nerd who's primary job is to do science stuff, not talk to the press.  The shirt in question is not one he wears regularly around female coworkers; it's a celebration shirt.

The appropriate response is a chuckle about tackiness and bad taste, not screeching and pillorying.

And the women on it aren't very hott.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on November 16, 2014, 01:44:56 PM
As for wearing a suit and tie - I don't think that's necessary (much as I like them), though having that as a default would have avoiding the guy embarrassing himself like that.
I'm not saying they're linked. But the decline of the West does seem to be coincidental with the rise of casual workplaces. I'm just raising that.

Also you're right in general a suit is a great way to avoid embarrassment (unless it's a bad suit), but I once had a job interview at a media firm and went in my usual suit-tie look. It was like walking in naked the looks I got :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on November 16, 2014, 12:14:47 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 15, 2014, 08:38:37 PM
Yeah, like eating (he managed to keep himself fed); getting to work (somehow his one track mind managed that) and it looks like he even managed to shower and groom himself now and then.  Is it too much to ask that he manage to dress himself properly or is he really that mentally compromised.
He was dressed properly. He just wasn't dressed to your arbitrary standards.

:lmfao:

If you think its my arbitrary standard, you need to get out a bit more. ;)

Ideologue

QuoteIt seems to me that if you care about women in STEM

I can't tell if it's progressive or not that the concept gives me an erection.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Jacob on November 16, 2014, 01:44:56 PM
As for wearing a suit and tie - I don't think that's necessary (much as I like them), though having that as a default would have avoiding the guy embarrassing himself like that.

Suits and ties are a fuckload more identified with the patriarchy than some dumbassed shirt.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on November 16, 2014, 03:25:59 PM
Suits and ties are a fuckload more identified with the patriarchy than some dumbassed shirt.

The shirt is presumably more comfortable though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 16, 2014, 02:31:16 PM
He's a nerd who's primary job is to do science stuff, not talk to the press.  The shirt in question is not one he wears regularly around female coworkers; it's a celebration shirt.

The appropriate response is a chuckle about tackiness and bad taste, not screeching and pillorying.

And the women on it aren't very hott.

I agree with this, except that I think screeching is fine (though not pillorying).

Maximus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 16, 2014, 03:21:10 PM

That wasn't a singular "you".

Martinus

To me, it is quite sexist to judge a man not on his intellectual achievements, but on the clothes he wears.

Maximus

Siege

I have so much power running through my veins...

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Quote from: Maximus on November 16, 2014, 12:14:47 PM
Yeah, like eating (he managed to keep himself fed); getting to work (somehow his one track mind managed that) and it looks like he even managed to shower and groom himself now and then.  Is it too much to ask that he manage to dress himself properly or is he really that mentally compromised.
He was dressed properly. He just wasn't dressed to your arbitrary standards.

What are your arbitrary standards?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

frunk

It's a matter of what you pay attention to.  Before he ever thought that he would have to dress differently for TV he'd have to realize that there are actually people who care about how you dress.  Even worse, a lot of these people with nothing better to do watch TV.  Eating, getting to work, wearing clothes is a more common experience.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on November 16, 2014, 04:24:19 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 16, 2014, 03:21:10 PM

That wasn't a singular "you".

If society has a view that it is inappropriate and unprofessional for someone to wear a shirt with naked women at work and particularly when being interviewed on behalf of an entire organization that is, by definition, not arbitrary.  That is called a societal norm.

I note you have now deviated from your original argument.  You had argued that he didnt have enough brain power left over to realize he was being daft.  Now you seem to be arguing that the standard to which he is being held is inappropriate.

Your argument is getting worse.