A Possible Genealogical Metric In Search Of Meaning

Started by mongers, November 09, 2014, 09:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Tinkering around with some family birth dates, prompted this 'idea', take the combined ages your parents lived for and compare it to the combined ages you and your siblings have lived so far. 

What might this tell you if you compared the different generations in you family or across social classes or between different modern countries.

Might this proto-genealogical metric be of any use to anyone? :unsure:

Incidentally my siblings and I, three living and one dead, are due* to overtake our parents, one living one deceased, on the 27th May 2017. 

* fingers crossed for all of us.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

I dont know.  My paternal Grandfather lived to 96.  I will be very lucky to make it that far for reasons entirely independant of our relative socio economic status.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 10, 2014, 12:43:46 AM
I dont know.  My paternal Grandfather lived to 96.  I will be very lucky to make it that far for reasons entirely independant of our relative socio economic status.

Both my Dad's father and grandfather died at 65.  At 69, the way he sees it, he's in stoppage time. 

sbr

Mom's dad died pretty young.  I don't remember the dates off the top of my head, but he was dead before my parents married in the mid to late '60s.  My dad's dad passed at ~70, just after his 50th wedding anniversary.  Both grandmas made it to 90+.

My parents both turned 70 this year and seem to be in very good health.

I am 44 and my brother is 40.

KRonn

It's been a real mix with my family. Two grandmothers lived into their 70s and 80s, grandfathers died a lot younger and I never knew them. My father lived to 80, some of his brothers and sisters lived a lot longer, some into their 90s. On my mother's side most didn't make it into their 80s very much. Man, maybe I need to retire even sooner than I thought!

derspiess

Going back several generations, my ancestors lived fairly long lives.  All my grandparents made it well into their 80s and my dad's mom lived to 91 (dad's dad had the most unhealthy eating habits & was overweight his entire adult life but lived to 83).  Going back a few generations before that, most people seemed to live to 70-90.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

My Mom's 73. My Dad died age 56. So 129. Or 147 if he was still alive.

I have three sisters, aged 53, 51, and 45, with me being 38. Totalling 187.

:mellow:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

KRonn

I want to make it to age 100 because very few people die over the age of 100...

Eddie Teach

This metric is essentially meaningless. Families with 2 kids don't have significantly different life spans than families with 5 kids.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

sbr

Quote from: KRonn on November 10, 2014, 11:01:48 AM
I want to make it to age 100 because very few people die over the age of 100...

:D  That was George Burns wasn't it?

Maximus

My parents ages add up to 158 I think. Mt siblings' and my ages add up to somewhere around 450. I can't be arsed to calculate everyone's ages exactly.

mongers

Good to see grumbler in full stalker mode over in the other thread, glad I've given him something to look forward to in his dotage.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

It's not stalking when you're always at the same (public) place.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

I might be inclined to call it sniping or taking a potshot rather than stalking.