Stunning photos of London's new WWI memorial

Started by Brazen, November 07, 2014, 07:27:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on November 12, 2014, 06:14:40 AM
But more to the point: Remembrance Day in the UK is not (solely) about remembering the end of WW1, it's about remembering the fallen British/Commonwealth soldiers of wars in general.

Then why make a memorial that commemorates specifically the number of dead in WW1?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

The only relevant question is why in 2014 and not in 2018?

Remembrance Day is on that day because it's Armistice Day. Which was WWI. In which more British, Australia and the Commonwealth soldiers died than any other war before or since*. Which is symbolised by poppies because of Flanders.

Would you prefer there to be a separate section of 453 opium poppies to represent Afghanistan?

Not only do we commemorate the British dead since then, we also include foreign troops who fought both on our side and against us.

* A greater proportion of the British population dies during the English Civil War.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on November 12, 2014, 01:38:30 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 11, 2014, 07:16:21 PM
This.  Yeah, the Blitz was bad and you had Monty fucking shit up with his Montyness but compared to its continental counterparts, England came out relatively intact.  WW1 was a far different experience.  Kitchener destroyed entire communities.

I don't think anyone is disputing that.

That's because nobody is disputing that, counselor.

Martinus

Richard Hakluyt

The art critic of The Guardian didn't like the installation either :

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/jonathanjonesblog/2014/oct/28/tower-of-london-poppies-ukip-remembrance-day

Historic Royal Palaces, a charity, commissioned the installation. All the poppies have been sold and the profits (some £15m or so) will be given to relevant charities. It appears that the work was popular, with some 4m or so people viewing it. I'm not sure how we could legally have stopped them doing all this, perhaps legislation is required.........The Offensive Art (Undue Sentimentality) Act 2015 maybe  :D

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on November 12, 2014, 06:22:56 AM
But more to the point: Remembrance Day in the UK is not (solely) about remembering the end of WW1, it's about remembering the fallen British/Commonwealth soldiers of wars in general.

Then why make a memorial that commemorates specifically the number of dead in WW1?
It was made after WW1. Then after WW2 people who felt mourning was probably not appropriate on VE or VJ day also remembered their dead (and the wounded marched) on Remembrance Day.

Should each conflict have its own specific remembrance day? You'd have a rolling popularity contest of veterans as fewer people turned up for the Suez Remembrance Day than the Falklands Remembrance Day which would be something.

QuoteI don't think anyone is disputing that. But if this is the reason for remembrance, then after 100 years it is probably a time to move on. If the point instead is to honour one's veterans of all wars, then it is fine but then stop making most of it singularly about WW1.  If the point is to make a post-modern statement about pointlessness of all wars - as mongers seems to think it is - then don't do it with the prime minister and top brass of the military that even now are keeping soldiers fighting wars of dubious sense or necessity across the globe.
Can't you do all of those things simultaneously, on one day? :mellow:

Also does that 100 year expiry date go for all things? The Yanks should stop celebrating 4th of July or the French Bastille Day? I mean right now we're planning a (largely American funded) set of events for the 800th anniversary of Magna Carta :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 12, 2014, 09:44:51 AM
The art critic of The Guardian didn't like the installation either :

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/jonathanjonesblog/2014/oct/28/tower-of-london-poppies-ukip-remembrance-day

Historic Royal Palaces, a charity, commissioned the installation. All the poppies have been sold and the profits (some £15m or so) will be given to relevant charities. It appears that the work was popular, with some 4m or so people viewing it. I'm not sure how we could legally have stopped them doing all this, perhaps legislation is required.........The Offensive Art (Undue Sentimentality) Act 2015 maybe  :D
Because there is noone more qualified to talk about the horror of war than the Guardian art critic :lol:

But that's the other point the sale of poppies is for the British Legion who support veterans and current service families.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

I enjoy Jonathan Jones' writing, it is a treat to have someone I disagree with so reliably  :cool:

derspiess

Lola has a cute dress that has a pattern of a bunch of poppies all over it, but it was too big for her to wear this year.  I'll have her wear it next year :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 12, 2014, 09:54:17 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 12, 2014, 06:22:56 AM

It was made after WW1. Then after WW2 people who felt mourning was probably not appropriate on VE or VJ day also remembered their dead (and the wounded marched) on Remembrance Day.

Should each conflict have its own specific remembrance day? You'd have a rolling popularity contest of veterans as fewer people turned up for the Suez Remembrance Day than the Falklands Remembrance Day which would be something.

QuoteI don't think anyone is disputing that. But if this is the reason for remembrance, then after 100 years it is probably a time to move on. If the point instead is to honour one's veterans of all wars, then it is fine but then stop making most of it singularly about WW1.  If the point is to make a post-modern statement about pointlessness of all wars - as mongers seems to think it is - then don't do it with the prime minister and top brass of the military that even now are keeping soldiers fighting wars of dubious sense or necessity across the globe.
Can't you do all of those things simultaneously, on one day? :mellow:

Also does that 100 year expiry date go for all things? The Yanks should stop celebrating 4th of July or the French Bastille Day? I mean right now we're planning a (largely American funded) set of events for the 800th anniversary of Magna Carta :lol:

Oh well, I guess you have a point. I guess I'm a bit annoyed by the faux martyrology, though. When people celebrate the Bastille Day or 4th of July and Magna Carta anniversary, they are celebrating the concept, not go about "now let us consider how horrible life was under John the Lackland and all those poor souls that died in the war with Philip Augustus". I'm fine with either celebrating some completely cartoonish, cheery version of "ancient" history - or with making it about modern events - but the middle ground of faux sentimental realism is a bit grating.

P.S. Poles do it too. And it is equally grating.

Jacob

Quote from: Martinus on November 12, 2014, 12:25:12 PM- but the middle ground of faux sentimental realism is a bit grating.

Poor diddums :console:

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on November 12, 2014, 12:26:20 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 12, 2014, 12:25:12 PM- but the middle ground of faux sentimental realism is a bit grating.

Poor diddums :console:

We need more Martinus Memorial threads, with giant concrete wine glasses.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on November 12, 2014, 12:25:12 PMI'm fine with either celebrating some completely cartoonish, cheery version of "ancient" history
Then you'd love Magna Carta - 'Commemorating 800 Years of Democracy' :blink:

http://magnacarta800th.com/
Let's bomb Russia!