Windows 8, we hardly knew ya...

Started by viper37, November 04, 2014, 01:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

MS ends retail sales of Windows 8

QuoteSales of Windows 7 Professional will continue and Microsoft has said it will give a year's notice of the end of sale date.

Well, that was quick.  Though they also officially retire all other Windows 7 products.  Only 8.1 will remain widely available, until Windows 10 is out, August 2015, most likely.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

I suddenly feel like when my family got a number computer and it was Windows ME. :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Btw, I love their reason for why it is Windows 10. So silly.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

I think that article is mistaken - surely it's the retail sale of Win 7 that has ended?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

I am quite happy with Windows 7.  Is there any reason why I should bother to pay someone to upgrade to Windows 8 or 10?  :unsure:

I wish they stopped all the naming and just go from Windows 3.0 - 4.0 - 5.0 and so on. 

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on November 04, 2014, 07:40:02 PM
I think that article is mistaken - surely it's the retail sale of Win 7 that has ended?

Looks like only 8.1 will be sold until 10 comes out - like V said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29880144

Darth Wagtaros

8.1 isn't terrible.  I think 10 will be nice.  After a service pack or two.  I don't really like being an early adopter for an OS, outside of maybe making a VM or two for professional development reasons I won't upgrade for a few years.
PDH!

Josephus

is there a huge diff. between 8.0 and 8.1?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on November 04, 2014, 09:03:39 PM

8.1 fucked up my computer when I tried to upgrade to it. <_<

MadBurgerMaker

There's no real reason to have both 8 and 8.1 for sale. 

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on November 04, 2014, 09:03:39 PM

A start button & memory management improvements.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on November 04, 2014, 07:45:52 PM
I am quite happy with Windows 7.  Is there any reason why I should bother to pay someone to upgrade to Windows 8 or 10?  :unsure:

I wish they stopped all the naming and just go from Windows 3.0 - 4.0 - 5.0 and so on.

Keep 7.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

I will upgrade to 10 when it comes out I imagine, but I can't see why I would mess around with any flavor of 8.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josephus

So this is sort of a non-story, no? Why would anyone buy 8 if 8.1 is available. I mean it has that start button after all.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 04, 2014, 07:40:02 PM
They still sell Windows 8.1 :)
Upgrades for Windows 8 (not 8.1) have been disabled since a few months.

But effectively, they plan to stop selling Win 8 before they stop selling all versions of Windows 7.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.