Windows 8, we hardly knew ya...

Started by viper37, November 04, 2014, 01:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on November 04, 2014, 07:45:52 PM
I am quite happy with Windows 7.  Is there any reason why I should bother to pay someone to upgrade to Windows 8 or 10?  :unsure:
Yes, there is always reasons to pay someone.  You can pay me anytime for counseling you on your upgrade needs, Mono :P

Seriously:
Windows 8.1 is more secure.  It is, maybe, marginally faster than Windows 7, but nothing you would really notice in day to day computing or gaming.  The big problem is the interface, it was designed for a "post-PC era" that never really came, despite dire news reports from some shoddy medias.  Majority of Win8 users still use a keyboard and a mouse.

So, if you buy a new computer, buy Windows 8.1.  If you're a geek and you like to fiddle with your computer, try new things, expand your horizons, upgrade to Windows 8.1.

If you need to pay someone to do the upgrade for you, stick with Windows 7 ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on November 04, 2014, 09:03:39 PM
is there a huge diff. between 8.0 and 8.1?
Microsoft updates are no longer available for those who do not upgrade to Windows 8.1, I think.

Aside that, the changes are cosmetic only.  Figure it like it is Service Pack #1.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on November 04, 2014, 11:01:10 PM
So this is sort of a non-story, no? Why would anyone buy 8 if 8.1 is available. I mean it has that start button after all.
it's a non story, except for the fact that Windows 7 is still not entirely retired, as they keep the professionnal version out for sale.  That is unusual.

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on November 05, 2014, 09:57:55 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on November 04, 2014, 07:45:52 PM
I am quite happy with Windows 7.  Is there any reason why I should bother to pay someone to upgrade to Windows 8 or 10?  :unsure:
Yes, there is always reasons to pay someone.  You can pay me anytime for counseling you on your upgrade needs, Mono :P

Seriously:
Windows 8.1 is more secure.  It is, maybe, marginally faster than Windows 7, but nothing you would really notice in day to day computing or gaming.  The big problem is the interface, it was designed for a "post-PC era" that never really came, despite dire news reports from some shoddy medias.  Majority of Win8 users still use a keyboard and a mouse.

So, if you buy a new computer, buy Windows 8.1.  If you're a geek and you like to fiddle with your computer, try new things, expand your horizons, upgrade to Windows 8.1.

If you need to pay someone to do the upgrade for you, stick with Windows 7 ;)

There is absolutely no way I will change the operating system by myself.  I hate changes in the operating system.  I only change it if I am forced to do so. 

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on November 05, 2014, 10:01:02 AM
Microsoft updates are no longer available for those who do not upgrade to Windows 8.1, I think.

Aside that, the changes are cosmetic only.  Figure it like it is Service Pack #1.

Microsoft recently gave me updates and I am firmly back on 8 and not on 8.1.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on November 05, 2014, 10:26:02 AM
There is absolutely no way I will change the operating system by myself.  I hate changes in the operating system.  I only change it if I am forced to do so. 
As we all knew ;)

Like Grey Fox and I said: don't touch Windows 8.1.  Wait for Windows 10, and if you upgrade your computer, than ask the shop to upgrade to Windows 10 along the same time.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on November 05, 2014, 01:16:14 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 05, 2014, 10:01:02 AM

Microsoft recently gave me updates and I am firmly back on 8 and not on 8.1.
than it's some update that is required before other, so no big deal :)

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

8.1 is great for my laptop/tablet convertible, but then again, that's pretty much what 8 was designed for.
Experience bij!

KRonn

Wow, Win 8 versions are already fading out. I got Win 7 with my new computer as I didn't need what Win 8 had with apps and such, but it seemed a good idea.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

MadBurgerMaker

10 has the same apps and shit.  We've got it set up on some VMs here.  Meh.

E:  It does have multiple desktops if you're in to that. 

DontSayBanana

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 07, 2014, 09:37:57 AM
10 has the same apps and shit.  We've got it set up on some VMs here.  Meh.

E:  It does have multiple desktops if you're in to that. 

Which is pretty much the main forward-facing feature.  8's not a bad operating system, but since the app launcher was almost a complete and total failure, the only differences noticeable to the user are the look and feel, which are absolute crap in comparison to Windows 7.
Experience bij!

MadBurgerMaker

The people here that actually use 8 and 8.1 (we've "retired" the 8 image, but it's still on a few machines out there) seem to be generally fine with it once they get used to it, like every other OS, although one of the techs lost his damn mind during the XP upgrades and moved a 70 year old professor from XP all the way to 8 (this was pre 8.1) and didn't tell him anything about it.  So that one was fucked up.

E:  One of the guys with a bunch of labs and computers here has an odd tendency to buy Macs then completely wipe them and put 8.1 on them.  He's got like 25 or 30 of the damn things, so he is definitely a fan of both Apple aesthetics and 8, which is an interesting combination.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 07, 2014, 11:02:50 AM
The people here that actually use 8 and 8.1 (we've "retired" the 8 image, but it's still on a few machines out there) seem to be generally fine with it once they get used to it, like every other OS, although one of the techs lost his damn mind during the XP upgrades and moved a 70 year old professor from XP all the way to 8 (this was pre 8.1) and didn't tell him anything about it.  So that one was fucked up.

E:  One of the guys with a bunch of labs and computers here has an odd tendency to buy Macs then completely wipe them and put 8.1 on them.  He's got like 25 or 30 of the damn things, so he is definitely a fan of both Apple aesthetics and 8, which is an interesting combination.

Why would your org continue letting him blow all that money on macs and then let him wipe out OSX?  That seems kind like buying a whole bunch of Kit Kats just to use the wrapper for Nestle Crunch. :blink:

Has this guy never heard of Boot Camp?
Experience bij!