NCAA Basketball 2014-2015 (This may help ease the pain)

Started by PDH, November 02, 2014, 10:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on December 03, 2014, 12:55:39 AM
I think Barnes was upset his team had to score so much to win, he dreams of a 1-0 game.

He doesn't bother to have his teams work on their free throw shooting in his dreams either?  :P

derspiess

Got a rare chance to see WVU play a few minutes from my house at NKU. WVU shot terribly early in the game but their defense was scary good through. We hung out courtside after the game because... no one was stopping us. Tommy got to be in the presence of the almighty Huggins, and my nephew had his picture taken with most of WVU's players. My brother talked to a few of their recruits because he actually follows that crap.  But the highlight of the evening was Tommy getting to meet The Big O, Oscar Robertson.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Oscar Robertson had ten triple doubles in College.  That's nuts.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

As I posted on Facebook, I'll have to remind Tommy later that it's something he'll want to tell his grandkids about.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on December 07, 2014, 11:57:19 PM
But the highlight of the evening was Tommy getting to meet The Big O, Oscar Robertson.

Nice. 

Admiral Yi

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 08, 2014, 12:28:13 AM
I didn't know he was still alive.

Still kickin'.  He's a couple years older than my dad, but looks a bit younger.

derspiess

Anyway for the second straight year the Big 12 won the Big 12-SEC Challenge :punk:

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on December 08, 2014, 12:00:38 PM
Anyway for the second straight year the Big 12 won the Big 12-SEC Challenge :punk:
Unless it is football or baseball, that's not that impressive.

The Big Ten won the Big Ten-ACC challenge for the second (maybe third) year in a row.  That's more worth crowing about.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on December 09, 2014, 10:02:01 AM
Quote from: derspiess on December 08, 2014, 12:00:38 PM
Unless it is football or baseball, that's not that impressive.

The Big Ten won the Big Ten-ACC challenge for the second (maybe third) year in a row.  That's more worth crowing about.

SEC HAS UK AND STUFF

derspiess

Also, you might want to keep your head down on this thread, g.  I'm not gonna gloat over it because I like Beilein, but Michigan basketball just had its Appy State moment.

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on December 09, 2014, 10:15:10 AM
Also, you might want to keep your head down on this thread, g.  I'm not gonna gloat over it because I like Beilein, but Michigan basketball just had its Appy State moment.

At least it wasn't a Stanford or James Madison or a Pittsburg moment, it was just an Appy State moment.  When a young team faces a team that decides that that night is the night it will shoot out of its mind, young teams (even when they are talented) have trouble adjusting.  This only happens every year to somebody.  It is disappointing, but not significant. 

I'm certainly not going to "keep my head down" for fear of the disdain of a Mountaineer fan!  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Not my disdain.  Like I said, I like Beilein (and Michigan as well).  But I remember the back & forth that went on over months if not years between you & others here re: the Appy State game.  Hell, I think someone brought it up again this year.

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on December 09, 2014, 10:31:30 AM
Not my disdain.  Like I said, I like Beilein (and Michigan as well).  But I remember the back & forth that went on over months if not years between you & others here re: the Appy State game.  Hell, I think someone brought it up again this year.

Timmay and the Timmay-wannabes try every so often to float that App State game as the "greatest upset of all time," or whatever, but I don't think any non-Timmay really thinks that (especially when Stanford defeated an unbeaten USC as a 50-point underdog later that very season).  It doesn't bother me when the Timmays bring up that actual game, or when they make phony comparisons between that game and stuff like basketball games. Feces facit.

Bayraktar!