News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

10 minutes from X

Started by Josquius, November 02, 2014, 11:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What does 10 minutes from <<name of location>> mean to you?

<10 minutes walk easily
4 (14.8%)
Just about manageable to get there on foot in 10 minutes
5 (18.5%)
10 minutes by bike
0 (0%)
10 minutes by bus/tram
0 (0%)
10 minutes by train/metro
1 (3.7%)
10 minutes drive with perfect traffic
2 (7.4%)
10 minutes drive with normal traffic
13 (48.1%)
It is about an hour away. Trust no-one.
2 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 27

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2014, 06:49:53 PM
In Texas if somebody says something is 'five minutes away' the assumption is they mean 5 minutes away by car.

When you say that, is it just a way of saying that something is really close rather than a literal 5 minutes? As was mentioned earlier - getting car, driving, parking will likely take longer than 5 minutes for most destinations. :D -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on November 02, 2014, 07:03:56 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2014, 06:49:53 PM
In Texas if somebody says something is 'five minutes away' the assumption is they mean 5 minutes away by car.

When you say that, is it just a way of saying that something is really close rather than a literal 5 minutes? As was mentioned earlier - getting car, driving, parking will likely take longer than 5 minutes for most destinations. :D -_-
5 minutes of driving time.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

It is an approximation of driving time.  Like Dallas is three hours away.  But yeah if they say 'five minutes' they mean 'pretty close'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

It really depends.  If someone is coming to my office from another downtown location its 10 minutes by foot.  If they are coming from further out its 10 minutes by car.

Ed Anger

I expect the fuckers to arrive when they say they are going to arrive. Nothing grinds my gears more that late fuckwads.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 02, 2014, 08:31:15 PM
I expect the fuckers to arrive when they say they are going to arrive. Nothing grinds my gears more that late fuckwads.

I don't even bother being on time these days. #WhatIsThePoint
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: garbon on November 02, 2014, 08:39:59 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on November 02, 2014, 08:31:15 PM

I don't even bother being on time these days. #WhatIsThePoint

#GarbonUnivitedToTheIceCreamSocial

:mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

I do not scream for ice cream. :angry:

KRonn

I usually assume driving time unless it's specified otherwise.

Brazen

It depends. A suburban London house advert might say "10 minutes to nearest train station, half an hour to central London and 20 minutes to the countryside," meaning walk, public transport and driving, in that order!

FunkMonk

Here usually 10 minutes walk or 10 minutes by metro.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 03, 2014, 05:38:49 PM

Fairly different, no? :D

FunkMonk

Quote from: garbon on November 03, 2014, 06:10:49 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on November 03, 2014, 05:38:49 PM

Fairly different, no? :D

Quite.

Though I guess if a place is more than a 10 minute walk away then it turns into "10 minutes to the nearest metro." :P
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on November 02, 2014, 08:53:07 PM
I do not scream for ice cream. :angry:

I'd never be late to an ice cream social.  :licklips:

KRonn

Quote from: Brazen on November 03, 2014, 11:50:26 AM
It depends. A suburban London house advert might say "10 minutes to nearest train station, half an hour to central London and 20 minutes to the countryside," meaning walk, public transport and driving, in that order!

Yep, it often depends on context or location. For me it would usually be about driving distance. If I do talk about walking I'll specify and say a ten minute walk.