News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

10 minutes from X

Started by Josquius, November 02, 2014, 11:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What does 10 minutes from <<name of location>> mean to you?

<10 minutes walk easily
4 (14.8%)
Just about manageable to get there on foot in 10 minutes
5 (18.5%)
10 minutes by bike
0 (0%)
10 minutes by bus/tram
0 (0%)
10 minutes by train/metro
1 (3.7%)
10 minutes drive with perfect traffic
2 (7.4%)
10 minutes drive with normal traffic
13 (48.1%)
It is about an hour away. Trust no-one.
2 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Josquius

I've just remembered a conversation I heard a few nights ago.
I was at a pub in the centre of the city.
One girl said that she lived 10 minutes away, her friend ooed and aahhed, she had no idea that the first girl lived in such an awesome place, could she crash at her place so she didn't have to worry about the last train?
The first girl was confused. She also had a last train to catch.
Mis-communication, the first girl had meant by train, the second assumed she meant by foot.

I've noticed this elsewhere too.
When I say X minutes away I mean by foot. But when some people at work say it they mean by car.

Assuming no qualifier to make specific that walking/driving/whatever is meant, what do you assume someone means when they say X is 10 minutes away?
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Just getting on your car/parking or waiting for the bus/train would eat a large chunk of those 10 minutes, so I'd assume walking distance.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

frunk

I don't typically make an assumption, I'd expect it to be "10 minutes from X by Y".  If the phrase isn't added and the statement isn't clear from context I'd clarify.

The Brain

I assume that it takes 10 minutes to get to X, by rational means of transportation.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: frunk on November 02, 2014, 11:59:06 AM
I don't typically make an assumption, I'd expect it to be "10 minutes from X by Y".  If the phrase isn't added and the statement isn't clear from context I'd clarify.

Yep.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

There is no opportunity for clarification. You hear somebody say it on a voice mail and you can't get in contact with them to confirm. Just what would your sub-conscious snap assumption be.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on November 02, 2014, 12:44:08 PM
There is no opportunity for clarification. You hear somebody say it on a voice mail and you can't get in contact with them to confirm. Just what would your sub-conscious snap assumption be.

I'd ignore what they said and look up the place on google. Only other change would be if I was in the suburbs, I'd assume 10 minutes by car as only trifling people would be using that to discuss walking distance. In the city with trains, cab and walking - too close to tell.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

If there is no qualification, I'd assume the fastest means of reasonable transportation.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on November 02, 2014, 12:32:19 PM
Quote from: frunk on November 02, 2014, 11:59:06 AM

Yep.

Yep yep.  Totally context dependent.

Grey Fox

It's context dependent but I would hear 10 minutes drive in non-rush-hour traffic.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

10 minute drive is the default.

Any other means of traffic would be odd, so it would be specified.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Maybe it takes 10 minutes to get the teleporter warmed up.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

In Korea, ten minutes on foot. In America, ten minutes drive through normal traffic.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

In Texas if somebody says something is 'five minutes away' the assumption is they mean 5 minutes away by car.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."