News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you move to a tiny home?

Started by Brazen, October 22, 2014, 04:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Brazen on October 24, 2014, 09:09:23 AM
Supplementing an enforced London living wage so people can afford to live and work in London would be cheaper in the long run. Many people, have more money to eat and heat their homes with benefits rather than paying to commute to work, get childcare etc. so it's worth their while not to work.

Well yeah it is a different story altogether when benefits are so that it is a viable economic choice not to work. That shouldn't be the case. I understand it is hard drawing the line between letting people starve and encouraging them to find jobs, but an earnest attempt should be made at doing it, at least. (which the UK maybe already doing, I do not know).

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on October 24, 2014, 09:15:56 AM

Well yeah it is a different story altogether when benefits are so that it is a viable economic choice not to work. That shouldn't be the case. I understand it is hard drawing the line between letting people starve and encouraging them to find jobs, but an earnest attempt should be made at doing it, at least. (which the UK maybe already doing, I do not know).
The Daily Mail likes to say this but it really isn't a viable choice to choose not to work when you're able to work. Unemployment benefits are very low. So low in fact that if you're living on your own then every penny has to go towards getting enough calories to stay alive- forget going to job interviews, even I found that tough despite not having to spend anything on basic living.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on October 24, 2014, 08:41:08 AM
For legals living in appaling conditions and working minimum wage. That is sad but still the state shouldn't try to stop that. Or might as well embargo China and the rest of the third world because otherwise all efforts to stop people working shitty jobs is just exporting jobs abroad. Or in other words, getting it out of our sight so we can feel better about ourselves.

:huh:

They don't have to live in appalling conditions if you get them housing...and doing so won't cause jobs to leave. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.