And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you move to a tiny home?

Started by Brazen, October 22, 2014, 04:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

http://themindunleashed.org/2014/08/sell-crap-pay-debt-love-makes-possible.html

Extract:
Sell Your Crap, Pay Off Your Debt, And Do What You Love! This Makes It All Possible!

There's something strange happening around the globe... but it's awesome!

Lifestyles and needs are changing, and consequently, our houses are shrinking. The tiny house movement has blown up in the past few years, shifting the traditional North American housing models towards a more practical, finance-friendly blueprint. The movement is garnering attention from people fed up with the current consumerist/utility-based lifestyle which has placed millions of people in debt. Now, the idea of living your dream is no longer a cliché.

The typical American home is around 2600 square feet, while the typical small or tiny house is around 100-400 square feet. These tiny houses come in all shapes, sizes and forms, focusing on smaller spaces and simplified living. Jay Shafer, tiny house advocate and founder of Four Lights Tiny House Company, says that, unlike sprawling houses, tiny houses demand that their dwellers downsize to the essentials. Shafer states that tiny houses are undiluted reflections of the people who live in them.

"A tiny house is any house in which all the space is being used well," he says. "When my friends and I founded the Small House Society...that was our definition and we're sticking to it."

I know you USAnians are obsessed by house size while the average Brit has no idea how big theirs is, we just count bedrooms and reception rooms. Fortunately, a flat below mine is for sale so I checked the details and found out it's 548 sq ft, or 50.9 sq m.

I feel no urge for a bigger living space, though I do miss having a bit of outside to myself, and I'm sure the cats would appreciate it. God knows I'm short on storage space, though. I'm in desperate need of a new bathroom and kitchen, and lots of fitted units in the bedrooms. When I mysteriously have some money to spare.

However, I wish there were a service that would sweep into your home, identify the crap you'd never miss and sell/recycle/chuck it for 20% of the profit.

Would you significantly reduce your personal goods for a much smaller property, and end to your mortgage and more cash in hand? And perhaps more temptingly, a much simpler, clutter-free lifestyle?

Syt

I'm at ca. 50 m² myself, and while not huge it's comfy for a single; not too large or too small. My previous apartment was ten m² larger, and a lot of that was storage space. Moving to my new place made me sort out A LOT of crap and wardrobe, and I'm glad about it. My new place is lean, free of clutter, and almost entirely devoid of dust catchers.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Unfortunately I spent the first 30-odd years of my life in a quite spacious house. I want to return to that. Space=good and relaxing.

garbon

An actual tiny home? No, that looks like a studio apartment. I don't want a bedroom in my kitchen.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Brazen on October 22, 2014, 04:47:48 AM
USAnians

Don't do that.  :(

Anyway, it's not about the size of the thing for me but the functionality. Can I have a workroom for pickling and brewing? Can I have an office where I can work and not bother people? Where will I store my wine?

I could do a tiny house under specific circumstances, but not forever and not as a main thing.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 22, 2014, 06:12:11 AM
An actual tiny home? No, that looks like a studio apartment. I don't want a bedroom in my kitchen.

Cant do studios that small at all.
I like my space.  Need to have different rooms for different pursuits.
Maybe I could get by with one bathroom, but I need two bedrooms.

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 22, 2014, 06:40:02 AM
Can I have a workroom for pickling and brewing? Can I have an office where I can work and not bother people? Where will I store my wine?

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

Syt

Quote from: Brazen on October 22, 2014, 06:55:23 AM
What is North Americans who aren't Canadians' preferred term for themselves?

Americanos?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

I like USanians.  Lulz, Soviet Canuckistan.

Martinus

I gotta say ever since I moved, I just can't stress enough how important for your psychological and emotional well-being is to have a flat which has several rooms in it. You need one living room, one bedroom and one room for junk at least (in addition to obvious other stuff such as a kitchen and at least one bathroom - but two are much better as you need a separate bathroom for a cat  :ph34r:).

Grey Fox

Quote from: Brazen on October 22, 2014, 06:55:23 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 22, 2014, 06:40:02 AM
Don't do that.  :(

The Economist approves:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/johnson/2010/12/what_call_americans

What is North Americans who aren't Canadians' preferred term for themselves?

Canadians
Americans
Mexicans

Fuck that tiny living Bullshit, we're not chinese ant people. I like my 7000 sqfeet yard, thank you very much.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on October 22, 2014, 04:58:57 AM
I'm at ca. 50 m² myself, and while not huge it's comfy for a single; not too large or too small. My previous apartment was ten m² larger, and a lot of that was storage space. Moving to my new place made me sort out A LOT of crap and wardrobe, and I'm glad about it. My new place is lean, free of clutter, and almost entirely devoid of dust catchers.

I think for me the sweet spot would be around 70-80. Currently I have 100 which is a bit too big (although I manage to use all of it).

Brazen

I just need more fitted storage then I'd be cushty.

Ender

Another attempt to destroy the American dream.