News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you move to a tiny home?

Started by Brazen, October 22, 2014, 04:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Lots of people of various income levels have to commute. BFD.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on October 24, 2014, 05:37:35 AM

I know someone who commutes to work from Paris to Warsaw on a private jet.  :hmm:

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on October 24, 2014, 06:05:34 AM
Quote from: The Brain on October 24, 2014, 05:37:35 AM

I know someone who commutes to work from Paris to Warsaw on a private jet.  :hmm:

That's inhumane. The Polish government should pay for his flat in Warsaw.

Warspite

Quote from: Tamas on October 24, 2014, 05:16:46 AM
For the rest? Free market would sort that one out. The local service providers would be paying enough for their employees to make them worth the effort and money getting to and from work. If they don't, then no one would take the job, and they would have to raise the salary they offer. No big drama there.

But there is no free market in housebuilding, and it is very difficult to ensure one, at least in a major city in the civilised world. This leads to a problem when demand heavily outstrips supply and the lower-middle and poor suffer disproportionately as they are forced to move away from their jobs, their existing support networks (e.g. a grandmother who takes the kids on holidays so the parents can both go work) and concentration of crime and other social problems. Ask a Londoner and most will be proud that most parts of it are actually quite socially mixed. I certainly am - on one side of me are estates, on the other are Georgian terraces.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Tamas

Quote from: Warspite on October 24, 2014, 06:10:52 AM
For the rest? Free market would sort that one out. The local service providers would be paying enough for their employees to make them worth the effort and money getting to and from work. If they don't, then no one would take the job, and they would have to raise the salary they offer. No big drama there.

But there is no free market in housebuilding, and it is very difficult to ensure one, at least in a major city in the civilised world. This leads to a problem when demand heavily outstrips supply and the lower-middle and poor suffer disproportionately as they are forced to move away from their jobs, their existing support networks (e.g. a grandmother who takes the kids on holidays so the parents can both go work) and concentration of crime and other social problems. Ask a Londoner and most will be proud that most parts of it are actually quite socially mixed. I certainly am - on one side of me are estates, on the other are Georgian terraces.

I am fine with crime concentrating as long as I am not where it is concentrated :P I fail to see the appeal of crime being spread equally with the help of tax money.

But hey, it is your country, I am just a guest here.

Martinus

Tamas, the inventor of an idea that something may simultaneously be concentrated equally everywhere.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on October 24, 2014, 06:40:49 AM
Tamas, the inventor of an idea that something may simultaneously be concentrated equally everywhere.

:huh:

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on October 24, 2014, 06:16:54 AM
I am fine with crime concentrating as long as I am not where it is concentrated

Incidentally, this is something I don't even know how to call. If Ayn Rand invented the concept of "enlightened self interest", perhaps this is what "unenlightened self interest" looks like.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on October 24, 2014, 06:55:56 AM

You do realise that if something is spread equally it is no longer concentrated, right? And if crime is not concentrated, it becomes much easier to eradicate.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on October 24, 2014, 07:03:41 AM
And if crime is not concentrated, it becomes much easier to eradicate.

How so?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

You do realise that if something is spread equally it is no longer concentrated, right?

This is a very odd line of attack. Tamas said nothing about it being concentrated if it is spread evenly around.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2014, 07:28:15 AM

You do realise that if something is spread equally it is no longer concentrated, right?

This is a very odd line of attack. Tamas said nothing about it being concentrated if it is spread evenly around.

As if that has stopped anyone around here.

Brazen

That doesn't happen though; there are always people willing to live in appalling conditions and work for minimum wage - and even less in the case of illegal immigrants and people on student visas - even in the most expensive areas of the city.

Tamas

Quote from: Brazen on October 24, 2014, 08:09:54 AM
That doesn't happen though; there are always people willing to live in appalling conditions and work for minimum wage - and even less in the case of illegal immigrants and people on student visas - even in the most expensive areas of the city.

Well. Illegal immigrants are a criminal problem. The solution should be to spend the money on getting rid of them, not on legals to be able to compete with them.

Same goes for student visa abuses.

For legals living in appaling conditions and working minimum wage. That is sad but still the state shouldn't try to stop that. Or might as well embargo China and the rest of the third world because otherwise all efforts to stop people working shitty jobs is just exporting jobs abroad. Or in other words, getting it out of our sight so we can feel better about ourselves.

Brazen

Supplementing an enforced London living wage so people can afford to live and work in London would be cheaper in the long run. Many people, have more money to eat and heat their homes with benefits rather than paying to commute to work, get childcare etc. so it's worth their while not to work.