News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Upgrading video card

Started by Pedrito, October 23, 2014, 11:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

In that case, I will buy the 970 and try installing it myself.  Keyword being try  :lol: I fully expect to fail and come back here crying for help. 

The CPU, motherboard, and HDD replacement can wait.  Maybe I will do it this time next year.  By then the system will be 4 years old. 

BTW, what is the actual limit on the no. of HDDs that I can have?  3 years ago I was very surprised to find out that I could have more than 1.  Right now I have 2 SSDs and 1 mechanical.  Is that the absolute limit?  Can I have four?  :unsure:

Pedrito

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 29, 2014, 09:33:35 PM
PCI Express 3.0 motherboards are RARE.

Mono your system is fine. I want to steal it.

Pedrito's and I systems are eerily alike.
:lol: at the time it was the sweet spot between price and performance. I've dusted the old thread about what to buy, and our systems could've been even more similar, if only I have waited for the Asus motherboard with the updated chipset.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on October 29, 2014, 11:06:58 PM
In that case, I will buy the 970 and try installing it myself.  Keyword being try  :lol: I fully expect to fail and come back here crying for help. 

The CPU, motherboard, and HDD replacement can wait.  Maybe I will do it this time next year.  By then the system will be 4 years old. 

BTW, what is the actual limit on the no. of HDDs that I can have?  3 years ago I was very surprised to find out that I could have more than 1.  Right now I have 2 SSDs and 1 mechanical.  Is that the absolute limit?  Can I have four?  :unsure:

Windows doesn't have a maximun. Your case, motherboard & Power supply do. IMO, you can fit 5 easily in your case.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Pedrito on October 30, 2014, 01:46:44 AM

:lol: at the time it was the sweet spot between price and performance. I've dusted the old thread about what to buy, and our systems could've been even more similar, if only I have waited for the Asus motherboard with the updated chipset.

L.

You have a link to that thread?

Monoriu

I was right  :lol:  I bought the 970.  Can't get it to work.  Even the old card doesn't work anymore.  No video output signal at all.  Now I have to take it to the repair shop.  Biggest mistake ever  :D

Pedrito

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 30, 2014, 08:18:54 AM
Quote from: Pedrito on October 30, 2014, 01:46:44 AM

L.

You have a link to that thread?
http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,4581.0.html
But the thread was started before the reset of the board, so the first part is lost.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Monoriu

Now that I have to take it to the repair shop, maybe I am just going to replace the CPU, motherboard, and HDD anyway  :hmm:

viper37

No, they are the norm as of 2 years ago.   They were rare when I bought my AMD board 2.5 years ago, they are no longer rare.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on October 30, 2014, 09:02:39 AM
I was right  :lol:  I bought the 970.  Can't get it to work.  Even the old card doesn't work anymore.  No video output signal at all.  Now I have to take it to the repair shop.  Biggest mistake ever  :D
you forgot to plug the power supply cable.

Top front of the card, see the connector?
There was most likely a cable there on your older card, you need to plug it again.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Pretty sure I plugged both power cables. At least the fans on the card moves. 

I think I broke the motherboard.  Seriously.  I suck.   :glare:

I am proceeding on the assumption that I need to replace the motherboard.  In that case I will buy a new CPU and HDD.  Now, what kind of CPU should I buy that is better than the i7 2600k and has reasonable price and performance? 

Lesson learned: never open the case again.   :blush:

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on October 30, 2014, 02:47:01 PM
Pretty sure I plugged both power cables. At least the fans on the card moves. 
Recheck.
Make sure your monitor is really plugged behind your card, not on your motherboard connector.
Try switching from one connector to the other.

I think I broke the motherboard.  Seriously.  I suck.   :glare:
Unless you heard a popping noise and found a plastic piece somewhere, it's doubtful.  Does it beep when you start the computer?

Make sure the card is correctly inserted in the motherboard.  If you pull the card (gently) and it comes out without touching anything else, you didn't insert it correctly.

I am proceeding on the assumption that I need to replace the motherboard.  In that case I will buy a new CPU and HDD.  Now, what kind of CPU should I buy that is better than the i7 2600k and has reasonable price and performance? 
Depends on what price you want to pay for the CPU.
For the motherboard, you need one with the Z97 chipset.
The Asus Sabertooth Z97 mark 2 would be a good choice, if it fits your budget.
As CPU, either Intel Core i5 4670k or Intel core i7 4771.  The i7 is obviously better, costs about 100$ more.

HDD, go for Western Digital Black 2TB or 4TB.  If you need extra storage for your anime videos, go for the less expensive Western Digital Green (they are slower, but just reading video files won't matter).

Barrister

Yeah Mono - the fact you're not getting anything at all makes me think you just didn't connect or reconnect something.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

I have tried every single connector slot behind the computer.  I have also tried using two different monitors and all sorts of different connecting cables and adaptors.  None of them works. 

When it boots up, the computer now has an obvious disruption.  It boots, the fan moves, then stops for 10 seconds, and moves again.  Didn't occur before.  So I think I broke the motherboard. 

How is i7 5820k or 5830k?  Won't consider i5 though. 

Monoriu

Quote from: Barrister on October 30, 2014, 03:25:12 PM
Yeah Mono - the fact you're not getting anything at all makes me think you just didn't connect or reconnect something.

This isn't the first time I can't get a video output signal from this computer.  It has always been difficult.  Even the technician tried many different ways before he got results.  There is only one specific combination of a cable, adaptor and connector slot that works.  All the HDMI outputs are toast, for some reason. 

Grey Fox

Your power supply suck. Replace that first.