And we're back!

Main Menu

Upgrading video card

Started by Pedrito, October 23, 2014, 11:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on October 27, 2014, 08:08:23 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 27, 2014, 06:54:17 AM
If you have anything under a 660, get a new video card.

Any video card recommendations?  I am not prepared to pay more than US$800.

That's insane prices.

If Budget is not, really, an issue a GTX 970 will do the trick. That's about 350$US in the USA, 450$ in Canada.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 27, 2014, 08:09:48 AM

That's insane prices.

If Budget is not, really, an issue a GTX 970 will do the trick. That's about 350$US in the USA, 450$ in Canada.

Thanks.  What about CPU?  I have an i7-2600K now.  Is it obsolete?  If so, what should I get to replace it? 

Grey Fox

Not obsolete. Don't replace it. Unless you see a performance reason or are building from scratch it is not worth the cost to replace a 2nd Generation or more Intel I5s-I7s.

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on October 27, 2014, 01:15:04 AM
Quote from: viper37 on October 27, 2014, 12:10:06 AM

@Mono:
If you're looking at a non gaming silent car, then there are variations of the 7000 series without any fans.  Just search for "fanless video card".

I was not clear.  I do need to play games  ;)
then forget about the "silent part".

Get the MSI TwinFrzr variant of the card you want, either GTX 970 or GTX 980.  Though I think the GTX 980 is overkill and overpriced at 700$, it's in your budget.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on October 27, 2014, 10:07:27 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 27, 2014, 01:15:04 AM
Quote from: viper37 on October 27, 2014, 12:10:06 AM

@Mono:
If you're looking at a non gaming silent car, then there are variations of the 7000 series without any fans.  Just search for "fanless video card".

I was not clear.  I do need to play games  ;)
then forget about the "silent part".

Get the MSI TwinFrzr variant of the card you want, either GTX 970 or GTX 980.  Though I think the GTX 980 is overkill and overpriced at 700$, it's in your budget.

Nah, if 970 and 980 are not too different, I'll pick the much cheaper 970. 

viper37

It's faster, just not 1.5x faster.  Maybe 20% faster.  And it's sorta new, along with the Titans, so their prices are steep, until suckers early adopters all have one, then the prices will drop.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Team Green will eventually introduce it's 960 option too.

It's probably the card we should all get.

Barrister

That's a hell of a budget. :o
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on October 27, 2014, 12:07:49 PM

It's Hong-Kong.  It probably costs 50$ to get a cup of coffee ;)

Monoriu

Quote from: Barrister on October 27, 2014, 12:07:49 PM

I have no clue  :blush:

Monoriu

Quote from: viper37 on October 27, 2014, 10:33:12 AM
It's faster, just not 1.5x faster.  Maybe 20% faster.  And it's sorta new, along with the Titans, so their prices are steep, until suckers early adopters all have one, then the prices will drop.

I'll wait.  I am willing to spend on the computer because that's the one object in the universe that has the highest correlation with my happiness level.  But then I guess Total War Rome 2 or Sid Meier's Beyond Earth or Elder Scroll 5 don't need the absolute best.  And I don't think anime watching requires the absolute best either. 

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on October 27, 2014, 07:11:33 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 27, 2014, 10:33:12 AM

I'll wait.  I am willing to spend on the computer because that's the one object in the universe that has the highest correlation with my happiness level.  But then I guess Total War Rome 2 or Sid Meier's Beyond Earth or Elder Scroll 5 don't need the absolute best.  And I don't think anime watching requires the absolute best either. 
You can build a 500$ computer to watch anime ;)

TW2 and Skyrim can require a very good video card, but the GTX 970 is more than enough for that, even with a gazillion mods.

Monoriu

Is there any possibility that I can *gasp* replace the video card on my own?  I'm not inclined to drag the computer to the shop once more.  I am the sort of guy who is scared every time I open the computer case and I dare not touch the cables  :ph34r: 

How many cables and screws are involved anyway?

Monoriu

GTX 970 sells for US$358 here.  980 is US$640.

Pedrito

Quote from: Monoriu on October 28, 2014, 08:31:39 PM
Is there any possibility that I can *gasp* replace the video card on my own?  I'm not inclined to drag the computer to the shop once more.  I am the sort of guy who is scared every time I open the computer case and I dare not touch the cables  :ph34r: 

How many cables and screws are involved anyway?

It's one of the easiest, safest operations inside a pc case.
- turn off the system
- unplug every cable , particularly the display one and the AC
- open the case, remember do not use a pair of rubber-soles shoes because they insulate you and static energy accumulating in your body can fry some component (it never never happened to me, but it's wise advice nonetheless)
- unplug the current cable of the card
- unscrew the front of the card from the chassis, please do not use magnetically charged screwdrivers
- push the small lever that's at the end of the pci-express slot farther from the chassis
- extract the old card, insert the new one until you hear the small lever going in place with a click.
- screw the front, plug the cable, close the case, attach all the other cables, start the pc, install drivers, enjoy.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot: