the old/new hardware lineup should be something like this:

Case    CoolerMaster CM690 II Advanced     € 89
PSU      Corsair Enthusiast 850W, 80Plus     € 102
CPU      Intel i5 2500                                     € 169
RAM      Ripjaws DDR3-1600 1,5V, 2X4Gb      €96.5
Main     HDD OCZ Vertex 2 SSD 120Gb         € 168
Data     HDD  WD Caviar Green 2TB 64mb     €  68
VGA      ASUS ENGTX560 1Gb                        € 208, 40

It's € 900 without the mainboard, because the e-seller doesn't have in stock the Asus P8P67 Pro with the revised chipset; the board should go for another 150 euros, totaling around 1050 euros. And it lacks a good monitor, I was thinking about a 22' Samsung LCD, but can splurge 30 euros and convert to a LED one.

Suggestions?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Grey Fox

Windows 7 64 bits?

I can't hardly differ. I have the exact i5-2500+P8P67 combo.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Memory looks slow to me - its the slowest that the board will operate.  I'd get at least DDR3 2000 memory and, if the money is tight, just get 4 GB at this time.  Memory will be your bottleneck with the proposed setup, it seems to me.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Pedrito

Quote from: grumbler on March 15, 2011, 06:09:07 AM
Memory looks slow to me - its the slowest that the board will operate.  I'd get at least DDR3 2000 memory and, if the money is tight, just get 4 GB at this time.  Memory will be your bottleneck with the proposed setup, it seems to me.

yes, it's the slowest, but after reading several online tests and reviews, it seems a voltage of 1.5 is the best advised (and I haven't seriously searched for DDR3 2000 low voltage DIMMs, and that particular mobo-cpu combo does not gain significant advantages from higher RAM clock speeds.
I will be doing some casual gaming (no FPS, no graphic intensive games), and lots of photo (and some video) editing.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Grey Fox

Why no FPS?

My rig can run Crysis2 on max no problem with a video card much less powerfull.

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

Grey Fox

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on March 15, 2011, 06:09:07 AM

There ain't much difference between 1600 and 2000.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: Pedrito on March 15, 2011, 09:40:31 AM
yes, it's the slowest, but after reading several online tests and reviews, it seems a voltage of 1.5 is the best advised (and I haven't seriously searched for DDR3 2000 low voltage DIMMs, and that particular mobo-cpu combo does not gain significant advantages from higher RAM clock speeds.
I will be doing some casual gaming (no FPS, no graphic intensive games), and lots of photo (and some video) editing.

L.
The mobo-CPU combo doesn't take advantage of the higher speeds because of the mobo fuckup, but you will want to track this when the board is re-issued.  As it was, the board was slower than clock at every memory speed.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Pedrito

Quote from: grumbler on March 15, 2011, 11:56:07 AM
Quote from: Pedrito on March 15, 2011, 09:40:31 AM

L.
The mobo-CPU combo doesn't take advantage of the higher speeds because of the mobo fuckup, but you will want to track this when the board is re-issued.  As it was, the board was slower than clock at every memory speed.

:thumbsup:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Pedrito

It seems the only motherboard now available is the AsRock P67 Extreme 4, does anyone know anything about this brand?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Grey Fox

Asus got the replacement for their P67 chips.

Norgy

Unless you have really funky electrical currents, the PSU seems like overkill if you aren't running SLI or Crossfire solutions.

Pedrito

:hmm: Considering I won't do SLI/crossfire, do you think it woulkd be sensible to trim the PSU to 700 watt? Or even :gasp: 650W?

L.
b / h = h / b+h