News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Business Party Attire?

Started by Martinus, October 22, 2014, 05:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I got an invitation to a party that says "business party attire" for the dress code. I understand what business formal and business casual is but what is "business party attire"? I assume it involves a suit and dress shoes, but what about a tie?

Brazen

Assuming it's straight after work, wear your everyday suit. If your boss has taken his tie off, take off yours too.

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on October 22, 2014, 05:33:33 AM
Assuming it's straight after work, wear your everyday suit. If your boss has taken his tie off, take off yours too.

It's not straight after work and my boss is a woman. :P

Martinus

Also, would it warrant a more colourful attire (say, a shirt and matching socks) or actually a more white shirt/black socks attire? :P

Brazen

As it's not "business formal" you can go more colourful, but I'd stick to a tie.

Is it a work day? What time is it? Is dinner and/or cocktails involved?

So glad to work in an industry without a dress code. Our team is going to a tech journalists' pub quiz tonight. There's free food and drink (which at this end of the month is a major motivator). Dress code is "whatever".

Martinus

It's a party (not a formal dinner) organised by a client. Starts at 7 p.m. on Thursday. The venue is a club. :)

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on October 22, 2014, 05:36:11 AM

Then put on a dress.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on October 22, 2014, 05:50:56 AM
It's a party (not a formal dinner) organised by a client. Starts at 7 p.m. on Thursday. The venue is a club. :)
Always go one step smarter than you think when it's a client's do. I'd stick with smart suit and colourful accessories. Also check out the club's website to see what the clientèle usually wear.

CountDeMoney

For Christ's sake, Marti.  You've been a working professional for how long now?

Show up in a double-breasted dildo.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on October 22, 2014, 05:54:49 AM

Then put on a dress.

Better yet, find out her outfit ahead of time and wear the exact same thing. Imitation, flattery and all that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

Just make sure your gimp mask matches your socks.

garbon

Quote from: Brazen on October 22, 2014, 07:29:17 AM
Just make sure your gimp mask matches your socks.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/rotary-club-president-accidentally-buys-4455505

QuoteRotary Club president accidentally buys GIMP SUIT for charity sponsored swim
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

I asked my (other) boss who will not be attending. He told me he does not know but advised me to take a tie in my pocket and put it on in the loo if everybody is wearing a tie. :P

derspiess

Then dress like her.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

You can never go wrong with a tracksuit.  :)