News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would you move to a tiny home?

Started by Brazen, October 22, 2014, 04:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

This is all extremely dependent on family size.  100 feet seems ridiculous no matter what (that's smaller than our very small camper!), but I could see 500-800 sq feet for one or two people.  Mrs B was living in a rented post-war bungalo that wasn't any more than 800 sq feet, and it had everything that you would need.

But ours is a family of five.  We have I think 2000 sq feet (and that again in the basement), but divided by 5 is only 400 sq feet per person.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on October 22, 2014, 01:23:10 PM
Quote from: KRonn on October 22, 2014, 10:39:47 AM
I have a small cape. Four rooms downstairs and bathroom and two rooms upstairs, plus an unifinished cellar with a half bathroom. It's just me and it's more than enough for me, I could make do with a smaller house, but still it's a smaller house compared to the larger homes that are usually built. I'm fine with the size as it takes less to heat and cool the home, less to keep clean. I also have two sheds out back that contain the various gardening tools, outdoor stuff, snow blower and lawnmower. So I do need a good amount of storage space but I'm also constantly getting rid of stuff, though it's too easy to add more stuff too.

This does seem to be a problem with a lot of people as they near our ages; where does all this stuff come form ?  :hmm:

I really do need to have a clear out, Again.  <_<

Hehe, stuff just accumulates from the family over the years. Now it's only me and just yesterday I was looking at some more stuff in the cellar that I can get rid of.  And as I get more into gardening I keep adding other stuff. Well, need to keep clearing out the old and unused stuff! It never ends!   :)

Rasputin

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 22, 2014, 10:59:11 AM
We are in about 5400 square feet.  At first it felt monstrously big but now it seems about right.  When we were first married we had a 500 square foot condo.  That also seemed about right for that age and stage.  Not sure what will seem right in my next stage of life.

that is pretty big :)
Who is John Galt?

Brazen

CountDeMoney

The fuck is wrong with you people and the lack of living space in that country.  Been around for centuries, figure you'd have the concept grasped by now.  275k lbs. for that is obscene, not like it comes with its own royal or anything.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on October 23, 2014, 08:44:44 AM
Where's the bathroom :unsure:

There's a perfectly good sink ...  ;)

[But seriously - probably behind that door]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Convenient - you can shower and poop at the same time.  :)

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 23, 2014, 08:24:04 AM
The fuck is wrong with you people and the lack of living space in that country.  Been around for centuries, figure you'd have the concept grasped by now.  275k lbs. for that is obscene, not like it comes with its own royal or anything.

There are way too many people wanting to live here, there are way too much one or two level buildings around (I figure flat complexes got associated with council estates here which equals lower class which equals ewwww). So you have the combination of extreme number of people living in an extremely underutilised living space as far as verticality is concerned. Which means prices through the roof.

I am assuming that all of this must be accompanied with very strict laws on erecting new properties, otherwise investors would be all over the place building new houses.

Syt

Malthus: It also makes cleaning the toilet a breeze. Just run the shower head over it. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Brazen

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

I read the other day that Vienna is one of the fastest growing urban areas within the EU at +9.3$ from 2002-2012 (behind Brussels, London, Copenhagen and Stockholm who are all in the double digits).

Increase in housing capacity is not keeping pace. Just last year prices for apartments increased by over 12% (which is half of what it was the previous year, so things are getting "better"). Between 2007 and 2013 prices for residential properties rose by over 80% in the city (60% after inflation). Rents have gone up by less than half that amount.

One contributing factor is probably that the city stopped all public housing projects (which was a city staple since the 1920s) in 2004.
—Stephen Jay Gould