News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

20 Years Ago

Started by mongers, October 21, 2014, 05:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

I was 24, and my oldest daughter was just a couple of months old.  I was working 2 jobs:  cooking at a sports bar and tending bar at a small Mexican restaurant.

Me and the wife and kid where living in a 2 bedroom apartment with the wife's identical twin sister, her husband (who was a friend of mine growing up and how I met my ex-wife) and their 10 month old daughter.

I did not own a computer, game console, or mobile phone and I had never heard of the internet or any of the related things.

I was also happily married and had no cats.

lustindarkness

20 years ago:
I was a in college wasting my time, I worked full time to pay my rent and gas money and any left overs were spent in alcohol, had already been in the Navy Reserves a year, the club scene in San Juan was awesome for a bachelor.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

20 years ago almost to the day I went to see Live in concert as well as some little-known band called Weezer.  I had just transferred to Delaware.  Good times.

Oh also I had just turned 21, which really just meant I could start using my own ID instead of my brother's  :pirate
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maladict

20 years ago would make me a socially awkward 15 yo playing computer games most of the time. I don't necessarily need to go back there. I'll take 17 years ago, but 20? Pass.

mongers

If you lived in a town without a dedicated record shop and wanted to find out about new albums or gig, you had to either subscribe to a band specific newsletter/fanzine* or buy one of the weekly music papers** like NME or Sounds.   :cool:

* usually you sent the nice person one or several SAEs and these would be returned to you containing the monthly/quaterly fanzine.
** These papers sometimes came with a floppy coloured plastic single from a band being promoted by their label.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

LOL, 'zines.  Now those were the days.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 25, 2014, 03:10:34 PM
LOL, 'zines.  Now those were the days.

I must have a few lying around somewhere?  :hmm:

Yeah the people who did them seemed to be genuine peps.  I wonder what the internet equivalent of a fanzine is, band specific blog? 

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

I started with Nextel in 1994.  Back in those days Nextel's primary product was the large 1 Watt phones (the Lingo).  They were so sturdy that one of our sales people, as part of a customer demonstration, took his phone and threw it over a four lane road onto concrete then picked it up and demonstrated that it still worked.  (He got the sale.)  I think of that whenever anyone tells me of how they dropped their iPhone two or three feet and it shattered.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Savonarola on October 25, 2014, 05:30:25 PM
I started with Nextel in 1994.  Back in those days Nextel's primary product was the large 1 Watt phones (the Lingo).  They were so sturdy that one of our sales people, as part of a customer demonstration, took his phone and threw it over a four lane road onto concrete then picked it up and demonstrated that it still worked.  (He got the sale.)  I think of that whenever anyone tells me of how they dropped their iPhone two or three feet and it shattered.

Those car kits installations were awesome, though;  jacked you up to 3 watts.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 21, 2014, 05:58:45 PM
All things considered, I'd rather be in 1994 right now.

at least we'd have Clinton. More productive than Obama.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

"I said left at the bank, not bank left!"

Josquius

Landlines and not knowing who was calling before you answered the phone would be bizzare to many.
I remember when I was teaching a class of 7 year olds last year and to show something I drew a phone...a old fashioned rotary phone, since that seems the most obviously a phone to me. Cue "That's not a phone!" and a kid drawing an iphone instead.

██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

I'd like to choke them with a landline.  NO LANDLINE = TRANSIENT