News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

20 Years Ago

Started by mongers, October 21, 2014, 05:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

20 years ago Pink Floyd released The Division Bell. In one month they're about to release stuff they recorded for it but didn't put on it.

So really, not much has changed.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on October 21, 2014, 05:50:46 PM
20 years ago... I think I used the internet at the library to get into arguments on alt.skinheads on usenet.

Wouldn't it be cool if that stuff were still out there in the ether?  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 21, 2014, 05:54:59 PM
Quote from: Josephus on October 21, 2014, 05:40:41 PM
I don't think I really discovered the internet yet. I do remember a "guy I knew" who used to download games with his telephone from something he called "message board", but I had no real idea what he was doing, other than he was amassing really expensive phone bills.

I played trade wars on a message board - but that was longer than 20 years ago.  More like 30 years ago.  I had a 300 baud modem.  The download speed was so slow I could read the text as it loaded onto the screen.  The message board only had two lines in and so a lot of time was spent dialing in to try to get an open line to connect to the board.  Then I found a message board called Mindlink.  It was amazing.  It had something like 30 lines in and so you hardly ever experienced a busy signal.  It also gave access to something called the internet.  But that cost extra and by the minute.  It also required knowledge of specific code commands so I didnt it.

Mindlink sold its operation a few months before Netscape became widely available.  Now that was some good timing for the vendor.  Not so good for the guys who bought it.

I just missed out on that era, had a friend that had dabbled a bit with bulletin boards, but compuserve seemed to us non-techies the modern thing that blow them away/made internet access easy.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 21, 2014, 05:58:45 PM
All things considered, I'd rather be in 1994 right now.

I wouldn't. I didn't really even know what sexuality was back then. Hell, I think I had just learned about sex.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on October 21, 2014, 06:20:09 PM

I wouldn't. I didn't really even know what sexuality was back then. Hell, I think I had just learned about sex.

Back the We didn't know what your sexuality was.   :P

mongers

I should add, it was pretty common if you wanted to sell something, you'd but an advert in a newspaper or magazine with you home telephone number.  ......

Some weeks later someone might phone you up and arrange to come and have a look at it, or they'd then send you a cheque and you'd post the book/game/boardgame/camera thingy etc off to them.   :cool:

garbon

Quote from: mongers on October 21, 2014, 06:23:17 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 21, 2014, 06:20:09 PM

Who are the We? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on October 21, 2014, 06:25:56 PM
I should add, it was pretty common if you wanted to sell something, you'd but an advert in a newspaper or magazine with you home telephone number.  ......

Some weeks later someone might phone you up and arrange to come and have a look at it, or they'd then send you a cheque and you'd post the book/game/boardgame/camera thingy etc off to them.   :cool:

That was pretty common up through the craiglist era in the past decade. Wasn't necessarily physical newspaper put still not too strange.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on October 21, 2014, 06:23:17 PM

Or his race, or his name, or whether he enjoyed drinking chocolate milk out of water fountains.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: garbon on October 21, 2014, 06:29:41 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 21, 2014, 06:25:56 PM

That was pretty common up through the craiglist era in the past decade. Wasn't necessarily physical newspaper put still not too strange.

I think the newspaper/magazine was the crucial thing in my tale, the idea that you'd have to post off an advert, on a little form, and it would be put in next month's issue, so it might not be up to 7 weeks before anyone had a chance of contacting you.

garbon

Fair enough. I had embarrassingly forgot at one point how people applied for jobs before the internet. -_-

Josephus

Internetz killed newspaperz :(
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

I'm down with it.  You figure out a way to reset the clock I'm on board.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on October 21, 2014, 07:02:12 PM
Internetz killed newspaperz :(
you had a good 500 year run.

20 years ago I was 10, so I don't have a good grasp of how much life really changed.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on October 21, 2014, 07:06:40 PM

I'm down with it.  You figure out a way to reset the clock I'm on board.

I'm in too; three dis-functional time travellers with issues.   :cool: