And we're back!

Main Menu

20 Years Ago

Started by mongers, October 21, 2014, 05:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on October 21, 2014, 07:02:12 PM
Internetz killed newspaperz :(

I saw an article that claimed hand held devices will save newspapers because things like blogs are too difficult to read whereas newspapers are already formatted properly easly use.

Brazen

Quote from: Josephus on October 21, 2014, 05:49:19 PM
In the late 90s we called them "Car phones"...cause most people used them in their cars...which is kind of ironic to think about it.
Even more ironically, one of the UK's most successful cross-brand mobile phone retail businesses is still called Carphone Warehouse.

Brazen

Much like Doctor Who, I have a fixed point in time around which to judge my tech. I graduated with an IT degree in 1989, the year Tim Berners-Lee invented the World Wide Web, thus rendering everything I'd learned obsolete. We did have access to the Internet at University, mainly via JANET, the joint academic network, but it was awfully clumsy to communicate. We used to have to send the results of programming assignments to the the computer block across the river to be printed and collect them a day or two later. We started off with DOS computers (IBM AT and XT) and keyboards, but Windows and mice were widespread by the time we left.

Computer games were pretty much a free for all - you could copy the disks for friends and install them to as many computers as you wanted. The original Leisure Suit Larry was doing the rounds at Uni. We also went from 5.25 inch floppies to 3.5 inch. Progess!

I started working for a mobile phone company in around 1998 (a lot of my job was testing fixes to the "Millennium bug") and was still considered an early adopter then. Phones had progressed from the "Rabbit" phones where you had to be within a couple of feet of what would now be called a micro cell to a proper cell network, but reception was still patchy outside London. The standard price plan offered unlimited free calls within London, so people ended up using their phones as baby monitors!

Brazen

Also around the time of Live Aid (1985) I was part of a charity endurance AD&D-athon called Dragon Aid. In one of the warm-up games I remember one of the team members playing a pre-email turn-based computer game where he'd meticulously type out then send over dial-up (phone handset in modem cradle) his next move.

Syt

20 years ago I was 18. I was slowly gearing up for my final exams at school about half a year later. I think I was interviewing for public administration apprenticeships/college at the time as well (which was delayed until after my military service after school). I missed quite a few classes that year because I could finally sign my own absentee notes (Sorry, was sick!). Still passed with an A, despite no effort whatsoever.

Tech wise I was enjoying my SNES and C64, and I think we had finally gotten a new VCR. I spent a lot of time with friends playing PC games on their machines (486/66 FTW!) and we got pretty good in creating boot disk menus to optimize drivers/memory usage for games. Phones were land line only, and our small town was still using four digit phone numbers after the area prefix.

It was the days when X-Files was the hottest thing on TV. MTV would still show mostly music videos, though non-music shows were creeping in - Beavis & Butthead, The Real World ... and I loved MTV's Most Wanted with Ray Cokes which was anarchic silly fun. It was also one of the few possibilities to watch any kind of program in English. TV showed everything dubbed (with the exception of subtitled British shows like Monty Python or Yes, Minister on the back channels).

Commercial TV in Germany was probably in its prime, bringing over hot shows from the U.S., while also developing their own formats with duds and triumphs - a rather creative period with new freedoms - that flow of creativity stopped some time in the early 2000s, I think, when the channels became more concerned with retaining viewers instead of gaining them.

As to music it was a dark age. Electronic beats heavy dance pop reigned on TV and radio. The Love Parade was main stream. If you didn't like the music, and preferred grunge, alternative, or metal you were a weirdo and had to pick the days of the week that you would go out, to avoid the Oomph-Oomph-Oomph music. I'm glad that the tables have turned when it comes to remembering the 90s; people forgot about the dance stuff and Nirvana, Pearl Jam, or old GnR are now "classic rock" (thanks for making me feel old).

The Star Wars expanded universe was still nascent. I still loved the Lone Wolf game books. And I wanted to be a fantasy writer when I grew up.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 21, 2014, 06:20:09 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 21, 2014, 05:58:45 PM
All things considered, I'd rather be in 1994 right now.

I wouldn't. I didn't really even know what sexuality was back then. Hell, I think I had just learned about sex.

It was a hell of a lot easier banging bisexual strippers two at a time back then. :(

mongers

Syt, thanks for that, a nice evocative read.  :)

Hey, you could still be pro-writer.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Brazen

Quote from: mongers on October 22, 2014, 07:02:48 AM
What about me, could I?  :(

Syt

Quote from: mongers on October 22, 2014, 07:02:48 AM

Haven't completely given up on it, still poke it occasionally with a long stick. ;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

In 1994, I was 10 years old. I enjoyed playing with my Gi Joes and NHL 93/94 on the SNES.

Oldmen. :rolleyes:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 22, 2014, 07:54:47 AM
In 1994, I was 10 years old. I enjoyed playing with my Gi Joes and NHL 93/94 on the SNES.

I forgot about nhl 94. That was a great game. God bless you wrap around exploit.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

In 1994 I was 28 and playing NHL 93/94 on the SNES. No Gi Joes, though. My wife got those in the divorce.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on October 22, 2014, 08:04:47 AM

In 1994 I was 28 and playing NHL 93/94 on the SNES. No Gi Joes, though. My wife got those in the divorce.

I lost mine too :hug:

I still got my thousands of matchbox cars tho, my kids play with them regularly.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

I think I still have a few of my action figures. They might even be in my current apt!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

I was in grad school 89 to 91.  I remember a classmate telling me she was working on a project with another classmate who was in Russia via email and having virtually no idea what she was talking about.