What insults to other countries are part of your language?

Started by Savonarola, October 10, 2014, 01:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Mon tabarnac jvais te décalisser la yeule, calice, pardon my French.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Double Dutch and Dutch courage. But I can't think of any others :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 10, 2014, 06:54:50 PM
What does Double Dutch mean?
'What did he say?'
'I don't know. It's double Dutch to me.'

Also 'going Dutch'. Basically all of ours are about the Dutch :mellow: :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Scipio

Canadian is polite Iowan for the n-word
Polack is what you call a moron in the midwest
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Maximus

Razgovory

"Honky" is negative term for a white guy.  Come from "Bohunk" which itself comes from "Bohemian".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Oh and "Tiajuana Bible" is a dirty magazine, typically a cartoon or comic of some kind.  Somewhat out of date.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on October 10, 2014, 07:44:30 PM
"Honky" is negative term for a white guy.  Come from "Bohunk" which itself comes from "Bohemian".

Interesting.  Where did you pick this up Raz?

And not to doubt you, but how the hell did a black person ever meet a Czech?

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 10, 2014, 07:04:20 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 10, 2014, 06:54:50 PM
What does Double Dutch mean?
'What did he say?'
'I don't know. It's double Dutch to me.'

Also 'going Dutch'. Basically all of ours are about the Dutch :mellow: :blink:

Dutch auction - a rigged auction, I think, though it might have had a different meaning in the past or in America now.

Dutch gold - fake precious metal

Dutch comfort - it's not the worst.

edit:
Found the dictionary (paper!), there's one or two not mentioned so far, like a Dutch bargain (this seems to fit with the universal meme of not trusting johnny foreigner in negotiations)
OK I might be wrong about dutch gold, in that it might not intentionally be a fake precious metal, but rather a look-alike alternative, say for guilding at church dome or relief work.

edit 2
I like this one, 'talk like a Dutch uncle' - to utter a rebuke. I may have heard that one or twice, it's slightly familiar.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

A Dutch auction now is one in which everyone who makes a bid has to pay, even though only the highest bidder gets the thing.  Only used for charity events.

Maximus

"Hunk" and "bohunk" were both negative names for eastern european immigrants. I'd never made the connection to "honky" though.

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 10, 2014, 07:57:26 PM
A Dutch auction now is one in which everyone who makes a bid has to pay, even though only the highest bidder gets the thing.  Only used for charity events.
Huh, a Dutch auction to me is an auction where the bid starts high and goes down. The first person to take the bid wins.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on October 10, 2014, 07:59:05 PM
Huh, a Dutch auction to me is an auction where the bid starts high and goes down. The first person to take the bid wins.

I don't know what this means Max.