The Middle East Crisis, Time For Boots on the Ground ?

Started by mongers, October 03, 2014, 05:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Western countries deploy combat units to 'defeat' ISIL in conventional warfare?

Yes, I'm an American
1 (2.4%)
No, I'm an American
17 (40.5%)
Yes, I'm a Westerner/European
4 (9.5%)
No, I'm a Westerner/European
18 (42.9%)
Yes, I live in the Rest of the World
0 (0%)
No, I live in the Rest of the World
2 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 41

mongers

Is it time that Western government deployed combat units to fight and defeat ISIL on the ground in Iraq and/or Syria?

My view is yes we should and do it soon. The reasoning being, it will take at least a year to get any Iraqi or Kurdish forces retrained/reorganised so that they can pose a real existential threat to ISIL.

Just as ISIL had a moment of opportunity, which the took with both hands, when they expanded into the Syrian vacuum and more specifically broke the back of much of the Iraqi Army. Now they have exposed themselves to conventional attack as they moved from solely terrorist/guerilla attacks to taking and holding territory.
The Western armed forces are good at rapidly taking back occupied lands, so they should be used to smash ISIL on the ground in first Iraq and then sweep into Syria. I see this as an extended smash and grab raid on a grand scale, bringing along with them whatever Iraqi and Kurdish forces they can. I think now is the time to smash the ISIL invincibility myth they've created around themselves and give the occupied peoples of their domain the chance to throw off their chains.

I characterise it as a smash and grab raid, as the aim should be limited to doing the maximum damage to them in a short campaign, of which the current air campaign and associated 'transportation' plan is an important first step.

The western forces shouldn't hang around to become targets for a growing terrorist campaign carried out by any residual ISIL fighters, but should leave the areas to be taken over by whatever opportunistic forces, be these Kurds, Sunni militia, Syrian Kurds, FSA or even forces of the Syrian government. Give those who oppose ISIL a once in a lifetime opportunity to reassert themselves, if they fail, then the policy should be one of containment only, like that which effectively limited Saddamite Iraq for a dozen years.

Clearly ISIL will have planned for such an eventuality and triumph each individual death of a Western soldier, plus things will go wrong, helicopter crashes/accidents can claim 20-40 lives in a single go, but I feel the risk reward in terms of lives lost and money spent would be much better than the combined positive of the operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Additionally  'we' need to fully get into the business of killing foreign jihadis, particularly if they come from our own western countries, we should be demonstrating to them, our domestic population and the wider world that their suicide death cult is a literal dead end, with no domain on earth.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

I'd rather not.  Let's see if we can get Iran to do it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Inclined towards "no".  If only for the reason that it has been show in that region that our help and assistance is mostly met with ingratitude.  Indifference at best.

The only real exceptions are maybe the Kurds, and those whose positions in power depend on our help.

LaCroix

drones and other air strikes should be sufficient to support the local troops already on the ground

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 03, 2014, 05:31:14 PM
Inclined towards "no".  If only for the reason that it has been show in that region that our help and assistance is mostly met with ingratitude.  Indifference at best.

The only real exceptions are maybe the Kurds, and those whose positions in power depend on our help.

And I'll qualify that by saying I support the air strikes, because the financial cost of bombs is worthwhile to kill ISIS nutters.  :)

And while I don't think a large scale "boots on the ground" deployment should be considered.  Small scale embedded special forces troops, and people to help better coordinate air strikes and drone activity is fine as well...preferably mostly with the Kurds (but then I would be a supporter of Kurdish independence as well).

Grallon

It's been known for some time now what needs to be done - but nobody is willing to do it... not yet: use nuclear fire to cleanse the whole region.

Once the Kaaba, Jerusalem, Medina, Karbala, and whatever other places are precious in their eyes have been vaporized - once their cities have burned - it should help break the spirit of the remaining filth that's already metastasizing the West.  From the borders of India to the coasts of Morocco - from Turkey to Sudan and to Indonesia - burn them all!  When the Dar-al-Islam has been shattered - the survivors will, in time, assimilate and the whole accursed death cult finally disappear.

So say we all!

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

crazy canuck

Voted no.

Assuming ground troops accomplish anything - what is the plan after that?

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2014, 07:24:59 PM
Voted no.

Assuming ground troops accomplish anything - what is the plan after that?

I outlined it in my post.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Grallon on October 03, 2014, 07:16:59 PM
It's been known for some time now what needs to be done - but nobody is willing to do it... not yet: use nuclear fire to cleanse the whole region.

Once the Kaaba, Jerusalem, Medina, Karbala, and whatever other places are precious in their eyes have been vaporized - once their cities have burned - it should help break the spirit of the remaining filth that's already metastasizing the West.  From the borders of India to the coasts of Morocco - from Turkey to Sudan and to Indonesia - burn them all!  When the Dar-al-Islam has been shattered - the survivors will, in time, assimilate and the whole accursed death cult finally disappear.

So say we all!

G.

Or we could just roll you up in blanket and hit you cricket bats.  That seems easier.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

We should tomahawk their oil fields so they run out of money.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Too risky.  The Muslim world is turning against ISIS.  The only way for them to recover their prestige and popularity would be for them to be fightng the evil yanqui pigdogs and kill them every once in a while.  That is why they are grabbing every American they can get their hands on and cutting his head off.  Best to fight them by proxy on the ground.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grallon

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on October 03, 2014, 08:04:00 PM
Quote from: Grallon on October 03, 2014, 07:16:59 PM

So say we all!

G.

Or we could just roll you up in blanket and hit you cricket bats.  That seems easier.

Hear, hear!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.