News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Warehousing the oldsters

Started by MadImmortalMan, August 19, 2014, 09:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

It doesn't have to get by the boys on the board,  just the legislature.  We'll put include language about the moral duty inherent in duck ordering and we'll win over the Family Duck Council types.  Also two new state office buildings in the 7th and 15th districts should bring in those votes  That's how government roles.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

UPDATE!!11

We've gone through everything and she is dead broke. Trusted a public sector pension that screwed her, contributed nothing to the 403b, ---basically there is no choice that could have been made in modern life that could have possibly ended up anything other than destitute that wasn't chosen. It's frankly incomprehensible to me that in modern times, with all of the investment options and retirement accounts you can get that anyone would possibly have nothing at all. It doesn't register.

My mom paid 25% of her income to the damn state pension fund and now won't get shit because she worked here nine years instead of ten. Fuckers. I could have bought her a house with that much money.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 26, 2014, 02:50:04 AM
My mom paid 25% of her income to the damn state pension fund and now won't get shit because she worked here nine years instead of ten.
Why didn't she work the full ten?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

UPDATE!!11

We've gone through everything and she is dead broke. Trusted a public sector pension that screwed her, contributed nothing to the 403b, ---basically there is no choice that could have been made in modern life that could have possibly ended up anything other than destitute that wasn't chosen. It's frankly incomprehensible to me that in modern times, with all of the investment options and retirement accounts you can get that anyone would possibly have nothing at all. It doesn't register.

My mom paid 25% of her income to the damn state pension fund and now won't get shit because she worked here nine years instead of ten. Fuckers. I could have bought her a house with that much money.

Damn, she should at least get some of that money back or something. That's just theft to screw someone out of pension funds like that; the money she paid in should be hers.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on September 26, 2014, 05:02:53 AM
My mom paid 25% of her income to the damn state pension fund and now won't get shit because she worked here nine years instead of ten.
Why didn't she work the full ten?

Laid off just in time.  ;)

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

I'm sorry MiM, tough times.

Quite a few of us have or at least are about to assume responsibilities for elderly family. It's just life, I don't think anyone can expect things to go smoothly or ideally, getting old is about dealing with increasingly complex and unexpected difficulties, both for the individual and the family.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

25% seems like helluvalot.  Was that a requirement?

Also, one more argument for defined contribution plans.

MadImmortalMan

It's kinda funny looking at the OP in this thread and knowing where we've been since.

I have been successful in managing this process, but I have also found that the grinder has cost me dearly in my relationship with my mother. She has, probably, grown closer to me. But all of this has been a very bad reminder from my end. I am having trouble even liking her at this point.

Every piece of crap she wants to save but doesn't need reminds me of my education that nobody paid for. Every time she shows an irrational attachment to some garbage item she bought reminds me about waking up all through high school and rolling the dice about what utilities might be off that day. It might be a cold shower. Maybe a shower in the dark. My whole senior year, we had no phone. That's a great thing for a young dude's social life.  :P   ...And my parents both worked for the phone company at the time.

Now, she is living in my guest room. My house is filling up with her stupid crappy hoarding crap. She has 17 white plastic drawers in storage. These are a staple if you are turning your average hallway into a warehouse. She has 27 more of them still in the house we're moving her out of. That's 44 sets of horrid plastic drawers. I convinced her to donate the rest to the SA.

TBH, I'm having trouble staying on track because I'm the only one taking charge of her crap and I have seven siblings. I want to bail out. I want to say to everyone I have done enough and now this is your burden. But I can't. They have nothing. All of my five brothers and two sisters are poor and have nothing to contribute.

I saw it all coming and saved aggressively for a couple years because I knew this was going to happen. Everyone saw it, but only I prepared.

I'm getting irritated now. It's nobody's fault at this point, but I'm frustrated as all hell. My siblings are blind and deaf, and my mom doesn't care what happens as long as she decides everything and I pay for everything. Damn boomer assholes.  :(

MadImmortalMan

I dropped a piano on my foot yesterday.   :(