News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cal! I need your help!

Started by merithyn, October 02, 2014, 04:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Is ancestry.com worth the cost*? I've always though the idea interesting / with various free online resources didn't get back past early 20th century (parents of my great great grandfather who was in Stanford's opening class).

*and if so, what level/sort of subscription?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I think it is pretty awesome if you are just starting.  It is a gold mine and does alot of the heavy lifting for you.  I say yes, and you can save money by just getting access to the US stuff.

If you are a vet you can get by using free internet resources (like familysearch.org) and family tree software like family tree maker.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2014, 07:37:46 PM
Is ancestry.com worth the cost*? I've always though the idea interesting / with various free online resources didn't get back past early 20th century (parents of my great great grandfather who was in Stanford's opening class).

*and if so, what level/sort of subscription?

You never struck me as the kind of person who would knowingly give money to the Church of Latter Day Saints. 

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 04, 2014, 12:42:47 PM
You never struck me as the kind of person who would knowingly give money to the Church of Latter Day Saints. 

Its owned by a British investment company :lol:

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2014, 01:40:31 PM

Sure, maybe now on paper.   But it still reeks of Mormontardism.

Valmy

Maybe, but all the money goes to London capitalists.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2014, 01:40:31 PM

even worse.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on October 04, 2014, 08:18:45 PMeven worse.

The capitalists of London are largely responsible for the modern world...oh I get it now.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2014, 08:07:09 PM

But all the material's being handled by Mormons, ready to baptize all your dead relatives.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 04, 2014, 08:21:10 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2014, 08:07:09 PM

But all the material's being handled by Mormons, ready to baptize all your dead relatives.

It already was handled by them.  I think the site was first largely about giving digitizing their giant dead relative baptizing resource library.

CountDeMoney

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 04, 2014, 08:29:52 PM
Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2014, 08:24:19 PM
It already was handled by them.

So what's your point?

1. My Relatives are all doomed to enternal Mormonhood anyway might as well find out who they were.

2. All my money goes to evil London Bankers while doing so.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on October 04, 2014, 08:20:35 PM
Quote from: HVC on October 04, 2014, 08:18:45 PMeven worse.

The capitalists of London are largely responsible for the modern world...oh I get it now.

All this time I thought it was Bilderbergers.  :(

Caliga

Mormons are fine people.  Ignore Squeelus on that issue.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on October 04, 2014, 10:53:45 PM
Mormons are fine people.  Ignore Squeelus on that issue.

They have an incredibly retarded, racist, and sexist belief system.  Besides that they are alright.  Still never living in Utah.